• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Last Dec 31 post of parts......fast forward to finished rifle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Last Dec a member asked for projects that we had started and Dec 31, I posted the first three photos. 1. RJ Renner made underhammer complete rifle.
2. My purchased R J Renner receiver, 3. Chunk of black walnut & butt plate.
Last week I finished the project. photos (4,5,6) Lots of whoops, but did not come out too bad. The barrel is a custom ordered "Rice" 54 cal 1" tapered to .800 in 30" Excluding the receiver mechanism, butt plate, trigger guard finale, RR tip, all parts are made by me. This rifle has very hot ignition because of the coned breech plug and musket nipple. I never put leather on a gun before, but elected to place leather on the forestock at the hand grip. The black walnut is finished with tung oil and the metal finish is Mark Lee Express Blue. I cheated and used solder for the nose cap. Solder works at slightly lower temp than pewter, but it is shinner.
Hope to shoot it later this week.
Larry

View attachment 56678

View attachment 56676View attachment 56677
[/QUOTE]
IMG_3528 2.jpeg

IMG_3530 2.jpeg

IMG_3523 2.jpeg

You do nice work, but......that stock should only have 2.1/2"s of drop at the heel!

Why do you have so much?

You do nice work, but......that stock should only have 2.1/2"s of drop at the heel!

Why do you have so much?
Hey thanks for the compliment! :) I will answer your question with a question. Do you wear the same size shoes as your wife or girlfriend? When I purchased the receiver, RJ Renner never told me I had to make the gun with a 2.5" drop. Seriously, the gun fits both myself and my 265 lb son in law.
Larry

Hey thanks for the compliment! :) I will answer your question with a question. Do you wear the same size shoes as your wife or girlfriend? When I purchased the receiver, RJ Renner never told me I had to make the gun with a 2.5" drop. Seriously, the gun fits both myself and my 265 lb son in law.
Larry
I am surprised that Roger didn't suggest 2.5"s of drop, just looks odd to see one of his rifles with so much drop. But you are right to do what fits you!
I have 54 with quite a bit of drop, and it is very pleasant to shoot. That big gun should also be a pleasure, enjoy!

Larry, did you make the brass patch box, I have only seen steel ones?

Latest posts

Back