• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Last day of flintlock season... no luck, but...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidney Smith

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Had a blast anyway, 16 degrees. Saw 10 deer where I was sitting. Called it a season around 5:45 pm. On the walk out had 3 doe just over the crest of the hill at about 60 yards. Gently laid my cushion and seat down, set the trigger, took aim at the lead deer, click, whooosh......silence....... Off they ran. I loaded the gun in November. Had the same charge all season. I have been using 2fg in the pan. I think the cold Temps played a role in the misfire, as the primer lit off pretty slowly. The gun stayed cased in the garage the whole time to avoid temperature changes and condensation. Oh well, there's always next season.

Here are a few photos I took. Mr. HOOTY paid a visit just as I was getting ready to leave. The shot of the woods, the sunny spot right in the upper center, is where the first two deer were spotted. It's about 200 yards away. This is why I love hunting in snow. On a normal non snow hunt, Id have never seen those deer.
20220129_173730.jpg
20220129_165124.jpg

They say, “you can’t get anything if you don’t go”. At least you seen deer. And they’ll be around next year. 👍

You are "gutsier" than I. 16 deg. means sleeping in to me.

2F in the pan sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, at least as far as my flinters go. I use 4F.

Back