Last day deer

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

okawbow

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Last day of the Illinois muzzle loader season. Decided to still hunt the 60 acre woods. wind was blowing enough to help a little. Went slow, 5 steps, then stand a few seconds.

About the middle of the woods, I saw a tail flick. I waited a few minutes and he stepped into an opening in the sunlight at about 60 yards. my .54 flint boys rifle barked, and he reared up like a race horse, then took off for 40 yards and crashed.

Heart shot, and the bullet stopped against the offside hide. Now starts the real work! I had to cross a deep creek bottom and go up a hillside that was steep and hard to get up even without a deer. Took me 2 hours to wheel the deer the 1/4 mile back to my truck. Had to hang onto saplings and pull the cart a couple feet at a time up the hill.

2017 muzzleloader by okawbow, on Flickr

2017 muzzleloader by okawbow, on Flickr

Spence10

Cannon
Reaction score
Congratulations, well done. I've never still hunted much, am always impressed to see others do it successfully.

Spence

okawbow

40 Cal.
Reaction score
It's a mostly mature woods that is anything but flat. Lots of Japanese honeysuckle and downed trees from windstorms.

There are no farm fields nearby, just pastures and crp. However, as you saw, there are lots of white oaks and red oaks. There always seem to be a few deer in the woods eating acorns.

Wes/Tex

Cannon
Reaction score
Very good! Venison steaks at your house for our monthly meeting! :wink: :thumbsup:

rushlake1

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Atta boy okabow!

Last day deer taste sweetest.

Well earned too!..

Good still hunt n shooting

RC

75 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
:thumbsup: good job! congrats!

azmntman

Cannon
Reaction score
Nice! Well worth the effort, even tho some of use bad words during steep recovery :blah:

I have killed lots of big game on the last day!

:thumbsup:

Latest posts