• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Large caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt you would be able to get a spent ball down the bore of the same rifle it came out of after impact wth almost anything.
Let’s not forget they used paper cartridges with a ball and or buck significantly smaller than the caliber of the rifle. I doubt they reused spent ball where would they find them obviously far beyond the battle field very far

Let’s not forget they used paper cartridges with a ball and or buck significantly smaller than the caliber of the rifle. I doubt they reused spent ball where would they find them obviously far beyond the battle field very far
Possibly with a smooth bore which most really large calibers are but I doubt it possible with a rifle as was stated. I have read that the old timers would occasionally chew a lead ball back to usable size and shape to make it work. I suspect this with retrieved balls that were not to badly mangled from game shot with the same rifle and they did not have the time or equipment to recast a new ball. They obviously had no concept of lead poisoning.

Last edited:
Possibly with a smooth bore which most really large calibers are but I doubt it possible with a rifle as was stated. I have read that the old timers would occasionally chew a lead ball back to usable size and shape to make it work. I suspect this with retrieved balls that were not to badly mangled from game shot with the same rifle and they did not have the time or equipment to recast a new ball. They obviously had no concept of lead poisoning.
Agree I was addressing the gent who was referencing the Brown Bess 75 cal

Largest rifle I have is a 58, but my favorite rifle is still one of 3 50cal.
Smoothbore is another question.
My favorite overall and if i could only have 1 gun, it would be it, is a c-fusil 20ga. Parts by Larry Zorns, Jackson, OH.
2nd favorite overall is an old musket 12 ga or another gun in 11ga I enjoy.
I have a 10ga trade gun that would be my 3rd. Favorite.
I have a Kibler in .54 smooth rifle, shoots great, at 50 yds. 3" groups bare ball!

Back