Large caliber

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Joemolf

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I doubt you would be able to get a spent ball down the bore of the same rifle it came out of after impact wth almost anything.
Let’s not forget they used paper cartridges with a ball and or buck significantly smaller than the caliber of the rifle. I doubt they reused spent ball where would they find them obviously far beyond the battle field very far

M. De Land

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Let’s not forget they used paper cartridges with a ball and or buck significantly smaller than the caliber of the rifle. I doubt they reused spent ball where would they find them obviously far beyond the battle field very far
Possibly with a smooth bore which most really large calibers are but I doubt it possible with a rifle as was stated. I have read that the old timers would occasionally chew a lead ball back to usable size and shape to make it work. I suspect this with retrieved balls that were not to badly mangled from game shot with the same rifle and they did not have the time or equipment to recast a new ball. They obviously had no concept of lead poisoning.

Last edited:

Joemolf

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Possibly with a smooth bore which most really large calibers are but I doubt it possible with a rifle as was stated. I have read that the old timers would occasionally chew a lead ball back to usable size and shape to make it work. I suspect this with retrieved balls that were not to badly mangled from game shot with the same rifle and they did not have the time or equipment to recast a new ball. They obviously had no concept of lead poisoning.
Agree I was addressing the gent who was referencing the Brown Bess 75 cal

Reaction score
Largest rifle I have is a 58, but my favorite rifle is still one of 3 50cal.
Smoothbore is another question.
My favorite overall and if i could only have 1 gun, it would be it, is a c-fusil 20ga. Parts by Larry Zorns, Jackson, OH.
2nd favorite overall is an old musket 12 ga or another gun in 11ga I enjoy.
I have a 10ga trade gun that would be my 3rd. Favorite.
I have a Kibler in .54 smooth rifle, shoots great, at 50 yds. 3" groups bare ball!

Latest posts