• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

SOLD "Large" barreled Percussion muzzleloader $500

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I Have this older custom build gun that has a 35" 50 cal "Wm.Large" barrel can't say much about the gun its plain and simple.. The bore looks great and it works like it should. quick action and good lock asking Only $500.

Attachments

• hawken,goulcher,Large - 16.jpg
    hawken,goulcher,Large - 16.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 435
  • hawken,goulcher,Large - 17.jpg
    hawken,goulcher,Large - 17.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 439
  • hawken,goulcher,Large - 18.jpg
    hawken,goulcher,Large - 18.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 387
  • hawken,goulcher,Large - 19.jpg
    hawken,goulcher,Large - 19.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 371
  • hawken,goulcher,Large - 20.jpg
    hawken,goulcher,Large - 20.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 358
  • hawken,goulcher,Large - 21.jpg
    hawken,goulcher,Large - 21.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 335
  • hawken,goulcher,Large - 22.jpg
    hawken,goulcher,Large - 22.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 327
Bill Large had a good reputation he was a very different kind of barrel maker adding little comments on his barrels like on a Chunk gun I shot had" Old Maids a thinking " 'Think it was Soddy style stocked by Bill Irons many moons ago . Was in Gallapolis So rang Bill Large He says "Are you going to the Rondesvous ?" The First Shawnee Eastern, Crabs. So I went , a member but as' porky' no togs but Phil Cravenore lent me a capote for the feast . Ugly gun but should be a good barrel .
Rudyard

The rifling in a WML barrel is no different than any of the 6 million WWII machine guns made in WWII. Cause that's the machine they were made on. When they are old, rusted, corroded or worn out the barrel can be salvaged rather than hung on the wall and not used.
The barrels made today by Colerain, Lilja, Bartlein, Criterion, Douglas and others are better made and have better bores.
The only thing "special" about a WML barrel is the stampings and special touches put on the barrel exterior.
And that - I would never change or alter - including the caliber stamp if it has one. (Not all of them were marked)
I have 2 of his barrels now, one in GREAT condition, the other I had to compound heavily to get it smooth enough to even load. Not much rifling left in it. It will be going to Hoyt in the future to be "saved" from a fate of being made a wall hanger and unused.
They are good barrels, and the gun here presented for sale is a good field gun, nothing fancy or special about it except it has the history of being equipped with a WML marked barrel.

If it’s shot out or otherwise not to your liking, have BH rebore it and shoot it out again. I’d be just as proud of a shot out Bobby Hoyt rebored Bill Large as I would a shot out Bill Large barrel. I’d then probably fill it with lead and wrap the breech end in leather and make it a ‘by the shop door’ head cracker. ;)

Nothing’s too nice to wring the life out of. Life’s too short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back