• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lancaster rifle question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Lancaster Rifle in .45 Cal with Dixie Gun Works stamped on the barrel. Does anyone know who actually made this rifle? I know Pedersoli, Pietta and Uberti makes a number of their pieces with their stamp on it.

Turner Kirkland, the founder of Dixie Gunworks built some kentucky rifles back in the early days of his company. Parts were all imports back then. A lot from Belgium. But it could be and imported complete rifle with Dixie's stamping on it. You might want to look carefully on the barrel for other markings that could track the time period or maker.

Turner Kirkland sold many rifles over the years from various suppliers. Look for proof stamps that will tell country of origon for the barrels.

Dixie's quality was all over the map, but Turner was pretty much religiously honest about describing products in his catalog. He did a very good job of providing low cost muzzle loading guns and accoutrements that started many of us in the 60's and 70's on the road to learning about these guns when we could not afford the best. I built my .32 poorboy entirely from Dixie parts in the early '80's using Lancaster parts. I built the lock from a kit that cost something like $34 at the time, it is a good medium quality lock and good sparker on its second frizzen. The Dixie barrel blank was the cheapest available then, besides Numrich, which were a roll of the dice, and it shoots #1 buckshot quite accurately.

If memory serves the Dixie Lancaster Rifle was an Italian gun, somewhat later than the Belgian Pennsylvania and Kentucky Rifles that the firm offered. A few fitted parts and tuning will fix most of what ails any of them. The black powder shooting world desperately needs another Turner Kirkland, and another Val Forgett these days.

I recently purchased a Lancaster Rifle in .45 Cal with Dixie Gun Works stamped on the barrel. Does anyone know who actually made this rifle? I know Pedersoli, Pietta and Uberti makes a number of their pieces with their stamp on it.
Check the proof stamps on the bottom of the barrel.

Back