• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lancaster Build, Designing and Laying Out Cast Off

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishmusic

Always a Newbie
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to include a 3/16 to 1/4 inch cast off on my early Lancaster rifle scratch build. How does that work? Is the centerline of the butt plate off set and parallel to the centerline of the barrel? If not then at what point do the two intersect? I read "Recreating the America Long Rifle" but it was vague about how to lay that out. Bill Raby demonstrates this as laid out parallel.

Howdy, Mr. Fishmusic,
I'm not a builder, but I'll be watching the replies, too.
I'm from up there, and trying to learn about what my ancestors might have used, starting 1732.
Good question. Thanks for posting it.
Brazos

I don't do the centerlines parallel. I draw a line from the back of the barrel to a point 1/4 inch offset from the centerline. Then inlet the buttplate so that comb points towards the back of the barrel. If everything is parallel then a buttplate with a long comb is going to have the end of it sticking out the side of the stock.

I don't do the centerlines parallel. I draw a line from the back of the barrel to a point 1/4 inch offset from the centerline. Then inlet the buttplate so that comb points towards the back of the barrel. If everything is parallel then a buttplate with a long comb is going to have the end of it sticking out the side of the stock.
Hey Bill,

I will look at the videos again. I thought that the offset was at an angle but I misinterpreted what you were doing on the Maryland rifle. Sorry, don't mean to dis you and my bad. That said you have answered my question. I will view the Lancaster and the Maryland videos to get the idea right.

Great videos by the way. I have watched them from the Tennessee up to the current ones. Great stuff.

Hi,
I generally keep the stock symmetrical about the center line through the rear trigger guard extension and then angle the cast off from there. The cast off is angled away from the center line.

dave

I do as Dave does.

Attachments

• Lanc4CombC.jpg
    Lanc4CombC.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 0
Back