• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lamp wick shoulder strap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm planning a new shooting bag. I'm wondering if lamp wick might make a good shoulder strap. Lamp wick would have been a commomly available webbing in days of yore. What do you think?

Alternatively I'd use hemp webbing.

Have you considered an inkle or a tablet woven strap?
Certainly give it a more personal and traditionally made look in my book.
Tablet or Card weaving requires basically no equipment and the patterns are extensive.
They were in use since the 5 century and were used as currency in Shakespeare's time.
I believe that they were the standard strap or belt of the era.

Google tablet weaving and you will be amazed at how much variety there is in patterns and how easily it is done (but not easily mastered).

1604958313584.png

Last edited:
Im not coordinated enough in the fingers I belive to do any kind of weaving. I can use my whole hand just fine, it's just that my fingers aren't good a detailed work. Does tablet weaving stretch much? Long ago when I was young and married my wife made me some finger woven sashes of wool. They stretched an awful lot. For a bag strap id want something firm and not very stretchy.

Yeah it is pretty straight forward. You need a loom. a piece of cardboard and a butter knife.
Card weaving you just need the cards and a pattern.
Maybe I should weave and sell???
Problem is my gear is in another state currently

Card weaving is one of those interesting forms of weaving. Historically, card weaving was known for centuries before colonization in the Americas. The table or tablet looms are also well known. What is somewhat perplexing about card weaving is that there are no known examples of card weaving in colonial America unless some recent documentation has uncovered some. The patterns woven are different from the warp and weft on a table or tablet loom. The most common forms of narrow band weaving are the table tape loom, the tablet loom and as a native source finger weaving.

The inkle loom is an interesting example of a style of loom. The inkle as a description of a woven strand of tape is well known ad described. The tape woven on an inkle loom and a tablet or tape loom are indistinguishable once removed from the loom. The same patterns can be woven. The inkle loom as we know it first appeared in the 2oth century. It is accepted as a loom for the colonial period and is widely used.

If you want a beautiful strap, made to your specs, at a very reasonable price, contact Kris Polizzi over at the horners bench. The lady is amazing and will make whatever you want and it won’t take forever to get it either.

I have had good luck at thrift stores picking up fiber woven belts for a buck or two. They make great horn straps with minimal alteration. I have two extra on hand now.

Latest posts

Back