• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lamb tallow and mutton tallow: what's the difference for patch lube?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I notice Dixie Gun Works sells both lamb (available) and mutton tallow (not available at the moment) for use as a patch lube and in bullet lube. The lamb tallow costs about three times more than the mutton. Is there any benefit to using one over the other for a patch lube?

I've used mutton tallow as part of the Gato Feo formula lube with great results for felt wads. I normally use Hoppe's 9 black powder lube for patches but if tallow is better, I'm willing to switch. (Not a Tareyton cigarette smoker for those who remember the old ads.)

Thanks for any information.

Jeff

For my shooting, and this is important that I’m not a guy that’s going to ever place in a smallest group competition.
If I can put a ball through the ‘boiler room’ of a deer I’m happy.
I shoot a lot of mink oil. However I shoot some plain pig lard, I’ve done a spit patch or two. I’ve shot moose milk and olive oil/ bees wax mix, deer tallow, unsalted butter, beef tallow and crisco. I’ve not noticed enough of a difference that I could say one out shot the other and the variation between lubes was no different then my regular variation between shots.

I've not used as many different lubes as you have Tenngun, but I've not seen huge differences with lubes either. Much of that may be a result of my marksmanship skills.

Dixie mutton tallow comes and goes in stock. I got some a year or two ago when it had been listed as out of stock for some time. It may be available certain times of the year, and when it is gone, it's gone until next time. I have found in most guns the type of lube is not that important as long as the patches don't burn through. I currently use straight bear grease or straight mutton tallow, or lard/beeswax/olive oil blends, some leftover Lube 1000 and good old spit. It all works.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index...ory_chain/578/product_name/LA1500+LAMB+TALLOW
DGW does have Lamb Tallow (see attached link) available and in stock right now for the low price of $17.50 for a one pound tub! That sure beats the heck out of $6.25 an ounce PLUS shipping ($100 a pound before shipping)! It’s sheep fat NOT beluga caviar!!! Works GREAT TOO...3 parts lamb tallow/1 part beeswax is all I use, even here in Alaska!

Last edited:
Mutton (pronounced moo-tahn by folks that use Grey Poupon mustard) is $10 an oz

Lamb tallow is $5 an oz and all the rage among those who carry Perrier in their flasks and praise Kobe beef.

sheep tallow comes from ToW is $17.50 a POUND. Function is the same IMO.

I use ToW mink oil.

Back