• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lake Lure North Carolina

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShooterToo

32 Cal.
Reaction score
On vacation and visited Chimney Rock State Park where "Last of the Mohicans" was filmed. are there other places of interest I should see in this area? Are there shops tht cater to muzzleloaders in the area worth a half day trip?

Pisgah National Forest and Sliding Rock would be on the top of my list. There are also some interesting bits of mining history in the area.

Head over to Ledford's Trading Post in Hickory NC before you take off. He's closed on Wednesday.

Forgot to mention Chimney Rock State Park and the Biltmore Estate. Lots to do in the area. Our family spent summer vacations there for many years.

Thanks for the replies. I have been to Cowpens Battlefield and Kings Mountain several years ago. We visited Chimney rock yesterday and then "shopping with the wife and sister-in-law" in Hendersonville. Brother-in-law and I spent a lot of time sitting streetside watching the crowds while they shopped.

we've seen Biltmore several times so we will pass on that. Wednesday we are heading to Bryson City to do a train ride. I may try to get over to Hickory today.

In Hendersonville one day, and walk into the leather shop on main street. I look up and see a wagon wheel chandelier, and I inquired about it. It was missing parts and had no lamps. He said I could buy it, and so I did. It now is complete and resides in my cabin.

IMG_0942.JPG

Thanks for the replies. I have been to Cowpens Battlefield and Kings Mountain several years ago. We visited Chimney rock yesterday and then "shopping with the wife and sister-in-law" in Hendersonville. Brother-in-law and I spent a lot of time sitting streetside watching the crowds while they shopped.

we've seen Biltmore several times so we will pass on that. Wednesday we are heading to Bryson City to do a train ride. I may try to get over to Hickory today.
As you seem to like movie aspect of Chimney Rock, I believe one train ride out of Bryson City that takes you past the train wreck from the Fugitive movie. Don’t know current details, but when we took it a few years ago we were served dinner during the train ride.

The train wreck is in between Dillsboro and Bryson city. That is one route. The best route goes from Bryson City to Nantahala gorge. That is the trip to take. Whenever I have friends or relatives visit I take them on that trip. They run a Polar Express train for the Christmas Holiday that is worth every penny if you have young children or grandchildren.
The French Broad rifles club is located just north of Asheville if you ever want somewhere to shoot in the area. www.frenchbroadrifles.com if you want to look it up.

The train wreck is in between Dillsboro and Bryson city. That is one route. The best route goes from Bryson City to Nantahala gorge. That is the trip to take. Whenever I have friends or relatives visit I take them on that trip. They run a Polar Express train for the Christmas Holiday that is worth every penny if you have young children or grandchildren.
The French Broad rifles club is located just north of Asheville if you ever want somewhere to shoot in the area. www.frenchbroadrifles.com if you want to look it up.
we did the Nantahalla Gorge train trip yesterday and it was great. Thanks for the tip.

We camped in Bryson City over 20 years ago at the end of a long job interview trip through the SE. It was dead back then, no train yet. That train has revitalized the town.
We ended up moving to Asheville at that time, Asheville was pretty dead too. Now we are overrun by tourists and not an empty storefront anywhere.

Back