• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lack of younger shooters?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Values. How often do we hear the media or politicians talk about values?
How often do our kids and grandchildren hear about values in school or at home? And what values do they hear about in schools? On their computers? In the MSM?
Diversity is probably a good thing. But it is not a value to base your life on. Many of us are old. I am 75. When I faced difficult things I had a rock to stand on. I am not a notably religious person. But parents, family, Catholic schools and my community demanded of me critical thinking and high standards of ethics and morals. They form the rock that is my foundation in difficult times.

I'd like to teach my kids to shoot black powder. At what age is appropriate to start and would you drop the powder charge to lessen any recoil?
My grandson started shooting a percussion smoothbore .50 calibre at 6 years old…started with 25 grains of powder…slowly worked up to 40 grains of powder (it’s a pretty light gun). Recently had a little custom .32 calibre flintlock squirrel rifle made for him, 20-25 grains of fffg.

He loves going to the range. His little brother is 4 years old, and he can’t wait till he’s 6…so he can shoot the “smoke gun”.

I’m in the process of locating .50 calibre rifles for both boys, for when they outgrow their current guns.

I didn’t know anyone with a muzzleloader in my youth. I was a deer hunter though and wanted more hunting time. That’s what got me started and probably a lot of others. My son shoots with me most times I go, but he’s twenty and has other things on his mind a lot. ;)

Welcome! You’ll find many more your age as you continue through the sport. With your enthusiasm I’m sure you’ll bring more.

Gun clubs need to start a youth group. The club hosts youth groups like scouts to complete their merit badges under safe range officers. Then they rotate to an education station run by experienced muzzleloader shooters. We did if for 15 yrs. Politics in the gun club got us cancelled.

I didn’t know anyone with a muzzleloader in my youth. I was a deer hunter though and wanted more hunting time. That’s what got me started and probably a lot of others. My son shoots with me most times I go, but he’s twenty and has other things on his mind a lot. ;)
Same here…I saw a CVA .50 Mountain rifle in a pawnshop…bought it when I was 13…taught myself how to shoot & maintain it. Got my information from the local library…years later I met a guy that was a 4 time state muzzleloading champion…Things accelerated nicely after we met…

Last edited:
Hey Grant,
I was one of the old guys at the match Saturday, it was great to have you and your Dad out there. I didn't start shooting BP until my 30's (I'm 64 now) life was just in the way. Both of my sons are now in their 30's although they like to hunt and shoot they have other interests and work that keep them busy on weekends right now, hopefully I'll be able to get them involved once their lives settle down. After all I need to pass all my guns and stuff on to someone. Anyway I'm glad to see you interested in this crazy sport, see ya at the next match.
Rusty

I see many aging, leaving, and dying off. I thinking of ways to gain new members to our club. I am gonna create a flyer to hand out and some business cards.
I am also going to look to the BSA, as they have a rifle shooting merit badge which allows muzzle loaders. Our club has a private range they can use for this
merit badge. This would expose not only more youth, but the parents and leaders as well.

I have two sons, ages 42 and 40. Neither one of them is interested in black powder guns. Several years ago, I had a nephew that was interested in an inline. I taught him how to use it and we hunted deer together (I used my Hawken). Today I have another 15-year-old nephew that is interested. I have taught him and he has shot several times. I am giving him an older Pedersoli 45 caliber cap lock and the accessories he will need to get started on his own.

Hey Grant,
I was one of the old guys at the match Saturday, it was great to have you and your Dad out there. I didn't start shooting BP until my 30's (I'm 64 now) life was just in the way. Both of my sons are now in their 30's although they like to hunt and shoot they have other interests and work that keep them busy on weekends right now, hopefully I'll be able to get them involved once their lives settle down. After all I need to pass all my guns and stuff on to someone. Anyway I'm glad to see you interested in this crazy sport, see ya at the next match.
Rusty
Yeah, It was very fun shooting with you guys. I really enjoyed learning more about the sport with y'all, and I am excited to learn more and more. I'm glad I have some good mentors to help me dive into the extensive world of black powder. See you at the next shoot!

I have tried repeatedly over the years. I even gave a BP rifle kit to each of my apprentices, and I found them, un-worked on in the storage room.
they are young and think ARs and AsK are the cat's ass. Too much of that spray and pray mentality they started in the 'Nam. I have gotten an older shooter or two, by letting them shoot an accurate BP rifle. They are impressed when they hit something. They transition from BP cartridge, when they see how easy
it is to reload a BP rifle at the range. We have ML elk hunters here in Northern Arizona, but they all use new inlines. Wouldn't consider a side hammer or a flint .Don't know what to say.

My dad got his first ML in 1995, I got my first one year later when I was 18 years old. Had alot of fun chasing deer during ML season with the old man, and I miss him terribly.

I'm keeping the tradition alive in our family with my two kids. Here is my 14 year old daughter shooting my Renegade for the very first time. She loves it 🙂.

There has been a culture shift. I don't want to go too deep into politics, but the shift is undeniable and IMO intentional. But I'm not playing and neither are my kids.

This is our future

Attachments

• 20220329_135802.jpg
    20220329_135802.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 58
I am very fortunate to have two grandsons, ages 6 and 10. They already shoot a BB gun with me, with supervision, glasses, etc. I promised to take the 10year old to the range and shoot black powder as soon as it warms a bit. I am also fortunate to live in rural Southern Vermont where the hunting tradition is still strong. They ask lots of questions about all kinds of guns and bows, I am trying to nurture that desire.
I think learning with a single load muzzleloader is a great way to learn patience, learn how to get close to game, and learn how to make the shot count. There is plenty of time for the bolts action, lever actions, and semi-auto’s. Now is the time for the fundamentals .

Very glad you're excited about this sport.

Here in Minnesota I coached the muzzleloading discipline for the local 4-H Shooting Sports organization.
Try checking with your local 4-H organization, you may find others that feel as you do.

Good Luck!

This!!!!

I coach ML in 4H in central Mo.
we have 5 new shooters this year!!!

Personally I've come to believe that the ML interest should be part of a holistic blending of camping out, primitive skills introduction (eg Fire starting, Hawk and Knife throwing; Campfire cooking etc) including presentations on the history and capabilities of ML's and Black powder why its still effective etc.

Remember the night magic of a simple Campfire with us all sitting around looking into it, a Harmonica....a Fiddle...a guitar and /or Banjo; some ballad singing and there's an experience never forgotten.
We're dont have to compete with their worlds BS technology, all that is needed is to simply re-activate their primeval wiring thats been lying dormant far too long IMHO.

Youngsters like challenges and variety (BTW we all did at that age) all we've got to is put together a workable program that will introduce them to our ML magic in a meaningful way that will have the bug biting them.
For youngsters in this era it will be an "out of this world experience" and they wont stop talking about it, and some of their friends won't even believe them !

Numbers should be kept easily manageable, (and the Child minding opportunity for lazy parents avoided, set the boundaries) some sort of vetting process needs to be implemented because none of us want to waste our time with already problem kids who will disrupt the program.

Consider the program to be along the lines of "Train the Trainer" but in the sense of being " Infect those who will become the Addicted and so infect others with their new found enthusiasm".

One ripple in a pond works outwards until the whole pond is affected.

Back