• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lack of younger shooters?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

granth

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I posted a similar topic in the Member's only forum and I think it would get more traction here. So I am 16, and I have noticed the lack of young shooters in this sport. I'm relatively new, but so far I have had a blast. I've observed that the majority of BP shooters are in the older demographic. Why do you think this is?

Probably lack of exposure, more modern things to do with your phone, lack of interest in history? Do a search and see if you can find a rendezvous in the coming months in your area, these are often family events and you will find young people there growing up in the culture.

Unfortunately shooting opportunities for the young usually only come from shooters in the family or sometimes family friends. Scout camp or earning Marksmanship merit badge or 4H rifle teams can also provide exposure for youth interested in shooting but have no other opportunities to experience muzzle loading.

I'm not sure exactly. Patience is something BP shooting requires, but young folks may lack that a bit, as every young generation does.
Movies and such tend to focus more on modern conflicts and weapons. That example may pull young folks to more modern arms.
Add to it that fewer present 40 year olds shoot BP so they aren't encouraging their teenage kids to engage in the activity.
I'm sure the reasons are myriad.
You keep shooting and learning. Take the opportunity to show friends. Soon you'll have your own cluster of BP shooters around you.

Last edited:
Very pertainant, We are so often a forest of old trees with few young trees growing to take our place . My generation didn't see any ellectronic gajests E mail ect . We as a local Black Powder branch of the UK MLAGB where young I joined as a Junior member there where few 'old war horses' But today the pictures rather reversed. Not help by negative Anti gun left wing media ..
Rudyard

Hello, everyone. I posted a similar topic in the Member's only forum and I think it would get more traction here. So I am 16, and I have noticed the lack of young shooters in this sport. I'm relatively new, but so far I have had a blast. I've observed that the majority of BP shooters are in the older demographic. Why do you think this is?
Fifty years ago I was your age, and I couldn’t get any of my friends interested

My R/P club runs a NRA program called "Women On Target". The range is closed for club members use. The women have access to safe training with all types of firearms, including muzzleloaders. That's my job. We get a wide range of ages with the women, from late teens to more mature ladies with grey hair.
I explain how the rifle works after having the new shooter safely seated at a shooting bench. I get them to line up the sights and test the trigger pull on an unloaded rifle. Then I demonstrate the loading procedure and get them to shoulder the rifle before I prime the piece. Once sights are lined up, I place a cap or prime the pan. Once the trigger is pulled, I see a huge smile. "wow, that was fun, can I shoot it again?"
The smile is my reward for opening up a new experience.

Simple fact younger shooters need older shooters to get them started. There just aren't enough older shooters taking the time to get younger shooters involved. Also us older shooters had the movie Jeramiah Johnson to get people interested. We need the movie makers to make a movie where the mountain man shoots his ramrod through the heart of the vampire, and uses his powder horn to blow up the zombies.

yutts [ as in my cousin vinny ] today that do shoot seem too think a gun has to be plastic, black , pistol gripped and have a 30 rnd. mag. non shooters think they are bad and evil as lots would rather have them believe

Television may have a lot to do with it. Back in the 50’s and 60’s and even into the 70’s when a lot of us were growing up, there were a lot of westerns being shown on television. Shows like Daniel Boone, Davy Crockett, Bonanza, Gunsmoke and many others were very popular then. At the toy stores you would always find a lot of cowboy cap guns, holsters and coon skin hats.

I let a young fella shoot my flintlock last weekend. Him and his brother had no idea what it was or anything about black powder. He was VERY surprised when it went kaboom! Said he liked it so who knows?

I think it's just not fast enough gratification for most young people these days. Maybe not just young people.

The youthes of today seem most interested in drugs, sex with Japanese cartoon characters, video games, electronics, and memes.

I am 31 years or age, and feel like an old man in regards to my interests (and my lower back thanks to military heavy construction and maintenance).

Last edited:
The youthes of today seem most interested in drugs, video games, electronics, and memes.

I am 31 years or age, and feel like an old man in regards to my interests (and my lower back thanks to military heavy construction and maintenance).
Trust me, even though I am the same age as my peers, I can't help to feel somewhat disconnected from them. I'm not saying I don't any friends, but nobody truly knows about my nerdy hobbies and interests 😅.

It’s not just young people, it’s people. The negative traits assigned to young people are also traits that anybody might have in their character. I believe it comes down to fear. When I was growing up, I was encouraged to climb trees and make fires. Go out on my own and whittle something with a pocket knife. The kids take our lead. We are the problem. Give them a Playstation and they stay out of our way. It takes effort to get a kid outside and others around us are encouraging kids to sit on a couch with a device too. What would get kids interested, is another kid on Youtube blasting some pig targets like Blackpowder Maniac is doing for us old guys.

Drawing in a new shooter is not easy. Muzzle loading is a very small niche hobby within another hobby (shooting sports, hunting, etc.). You need to find a person not only with a draw toward fire arms and shooting sports, but one who wants to move into this relatively small niche with an even steeper learning curve. I've taught loading, shooting, and cleaning to a variety of people (range open house, Women on Target, muzzle loader club matches, etc.), and if you get 1-in-20 to return as a regular, you're doing OK. If you get 1-in-10 or 1-in-15, you're doing well. You have to go out and engage with people ready to try it, and then be prepared to only succeed a small percentage of the time. But you still do it because it's the right thing to do for our sport.

Back