• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lace up leather pad damage?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't elaborate very well, I was differentiating in my mind between synthetic stock and rubber pads and wooden stocks with brass butt plates.

Anything that is impacted is of interest.

I purchased a custom knife at a gun show many years ago, put it in a drawer and forgot about it for 6-7 years. Found it one day and pulled it out of the sheath and the tiger maple handle was covered with a greenish fungus looking thing. Took a lot of work with cleaner and oil to clean it off, and it remained a darker color from then on.

Some things and sites you find on the internet are good and helpful. Some are part or totally BS. I was looking for something just yesterday and found a write up that was so full of total BS that the little bit of truth was even twisted. For things you have questions about research the subject extensively. Also look at the source of the information and track record of source if possible. Being sceptical about things on the internet until proven is wise. Find forums dedicated to the subject when possible. Even good sites can have bad info from individuals with good intentions but less than adequate knowledge of the subject. Get multiple suggestions and reason the person believes what they are saying. This is a great muzzleloader site as you will find out by hanging around.

If you look at chrome tanned leather’s edge, it has a blu-green tint to it. At least, that’s what I’ve noticed. Leather tanneries are pretty aromatic places to work. I worked at A.K. Salz leathers for 8-years. You name a boot or shoe company and they probably made leather for them. Now, the place has been converted into a kind of artist mall where the beautiful people gather to contemplate their navels.

I bought a Rem 1100 for a duck gun that had a leather sling looped around the pistol grip. It left a darkened line. I don't know if the discoloration is just in the finish or if it goes through to the wood, but I don't care. The gun is kinda beaten up and it will probably get a little more beaten up in a duck boat.

Bottom line is this.

If you think the leather is going to screw up the wood, metal etc, just slide the leather off when you are finished shooting. It's not going to be permanently attached anyway.

Intrigued by this thread I took my TC Hawken out of the safe. It been there untouched for 21 years. It was left with the leather sling attached. No damage at all to the Tru Oil finished stock when I removed the sling. There was some green brass/copper residue on the leather and the brass that cleaned off easily with a little rubbing with Ballistol. There was no corrosion of the brass. It was only a bit shinier then the original, tarnished surface.
View attachment 58799View attachment 58801View attachment 58802
"untouched for 21 years". I thought how could that be. Then visited with my firearms and touched a couple that haven't been out of the house since 2012.
Had the thought that maybe I don't like them any longer. Nope, not the answer. Then thought I can sell and then buy. Or trade. That didn't feel good either. Certainly couldn't do it to get better dogs.
Guess the wife will have to accommodate more guns.

If you look at chrome tanned leather’s edge, it has a blu-green tint to it. At least, that’s what I’ve noticed. Leather tanneries are pretty aromatic places to work. I worked at A.K. Salz leathers for 8-years. You name a boot or shoe company and they probably made leather for them. Now, the place has been converted into a kind of artist mall where the beautiful people gather to contemplate their navels.
Sounds like what happened to Vonnies in Kennedyville MD.

I
"untouched for 21 years". I thought how could that be. Then visited with my firearms and touched a couple that haven't been out of the house since 2012.
Had the thought that maybe I don't like them any longer. Nope, not the answer. Then thought I can sell and then buy. Or trade. That didn't feel good either. Certainly couldn't do it to get better dogs.
Guess the wife will have to accommodate more guns.
Assumed he was referring to the leather butt pad being untouched not the rifle.

This thread got me to thinking. The heel portion of the butt plate on my Bess (and the head of the screw there) is starting to look rough and dinged up from me resting that part of the butt on the rocky desert ground out here while reloading, so I decided to try one of these pads out. I picked one up for $18 on ebay and it fits Bessie just about perfectly. There's a piece of closed cell foam at the bottom of it, just pressed in, and I may remove that, as Bessie's 14.5" lop is already more than enough, but we'll see after I've tried it out.

Attachments

• pad 1.jpg
    pad 1.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 50
  • pad2.jpg
    pad2.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 47
  • pad3.jpg
    pad3.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 42
Back