• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lace question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tryinhard

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am in the process of making a new shooting bag. I plan to gusset the sides and want to use a Mexican round braid to cover the edge. Am I correct in thinking kangaroo lace was the best for an application like this?

I am in the process of making a new shooting bag. I plan to gusset the sides and want to use a Mexican round braid to cover the edge. Am I correct in thinking kangaroo lace was the best for an application like this?
I have yet to see a period bag with decorative lacing at the seams...

Our much missed, departed member LaBonte (AKA Chuck Burrows) posted some very interesting pics of original period pouches made in the old Spanish Territories that became States and had lacing on the edges of the flap as decoration and perhaps some other places - if that is what you are asking about. I am unsure after the changeover to the new forum, if that thread is still around, though. If you are interested, I suggest it may well be worth your time to search for articles by LaBonte in case the pictures might still be available or it may give you a beginning to do more research.

I don't know what kind of hide was used for the lacing, but Roo leather was certainly not one available in the period. If they wanted a thinner/more pliable hide, they might have used deer, pig, sheep or goat hides - though they could have skived cow/bull/oxen hide thinner had they wished.

Gus .

Our much missed, departed member LaBonte (AKA Chuck Burrows) posted some very interesting pics of original period pouches made in the old Spanish Territories that became States and had lacing on the edges of the flap as decoration and perhaps some other places - if that is what you are asking about. I am unsure after the changeover to the new forum, if that thread is still around, though. If you are interested, I suggest it may well be worth your time to search for articles by LaBonte in case the pictures might still be available or it may give you a beginning to do more research.

I just checked my link to his old site, Wild Rose Trading Company, and the link is indeed dead. So I suspect any photos of his work in threads here on the site are probably kaput. Especially if he was using Photobucket. My mistake, not doing screen captures of his work while it was still around. He was without a doubt the premier maker of leather goods and other gear.

Could be a sign of my aging brain, but I'm almost sure I saw examples of lace used on gear displayed in the state museum in Santa Fe. Lots of folks today get all spun up thinking the Rocky Mountains were the only face of the fur trade, when in fact many of the same rhondy notables migrated down to Santa Fe and Taos to ply their trade in that era. Kind of a forgotten corner of the fur trade, but an important one.

Last edited:
I believe that Kangaroo was in fact a top of the line lacing, however in todays world Calf will be the best choice available. Check out books by Bruce Grant for quality braiding information. I would not be surprised to find out that lacing and braiding was used in the Southwest.

The question is what period is your gun and how it would match up with a Spanish/ Mexican bag. Santafe 1830? You might buy such a bag from a local leather worker, Kentucky thirty years before? Unlikely. More to be seen in west post WTBS, and a lot of muzzleloader still in use.
Just want something that looks good? Then a laced bag can be pretty fine looking. However, it’s as easy to make a correct bag as a bushcraft Tandy looking non hc bag.

If your only concerned in what is best for a shooting bag and
not concerned with any time period, I would think Kangaroo lacing would be fine to use.

As mentioned above, calf leather or similar would work just as well.
And would most likely be cheaper on the purse strings..

IDK, I’ve never used calf’s leathe or Kangaroo .. that I’m aware of.

Roo leather is great and very tough, I use it on my falconry hawk equipment due to it's natural strength, hawk cant rip it to shreds! To expensive for a bag unless you have it, cow lace is sufficient for such a bag but not HC if your concerned in that area though.

Tandy sells a lace cutter that will strip out 10 or 12 feet of lace in just a few seconds from your bigger scraps.

Back