• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

L&R RPL Lock and Hard Trigger Pull

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erhunter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone have any remedies for a hard trigger pull after putting an L&R RPL 5 on my Lyman Trade Rifle? I bet the new lock increased my pull by 3 pounds. I really like the lock though after Cabin Creek tuned it for performance, now I just have to figure out how to lighten the pull. Thanks for all replies!

Does anyone have any remedies for a hard trigger pull after putting an L&R RPL 5 on my Lyman Trade Rifle? I bet the new lock increased my pull by 3 pounds.
Guessing you are talking about the front trigger pull without the rear trigger being set, correct? How is the trigger pull when the rear trigger is set? Doubt the sear bar on the L&R is located that much different than the factory lock (if the sear engagement is further forward relative to the front trigger lever, unset trigger pull will be greater), most likely cause and first thing I would check is for interference between the lock and the stock where you inlet for the new lock. Some wood in the mortise is possibly interfering with lock functioning as it should.

You can reduce the width of the sear spring at the horse shoe bend. Work a little bit off at a time, don't over heat if using a bench grinder, reinstall and check, repeat if needed.

Guessing you are talking about the front trigger pull without the rear trigger being set, correct? How is the trigger pull when the rear trigger is set? Doubt the sear bar on the L&R is located that much different than the factory lock (if the sear engagement is further forward relative to the front trigger lever, unset trigger pull will be greater), most likely cause and first thing I would check is for interference between the lock and the stock where you inlet for the new lock. Some wood in the mortise is possibly interfering with lock functioning as it should.
My Lyman Trade Rifle has only 1 trigger. Thanks for the help though!

My Lyman Trade Rifle has only 1 trigger. Thanks for the help though!
I am still thinking you want to check for interference between the lock and the stock wood.

I went back and checked my old photographs of when I changed out a GPR factory lock for a L&R. Appears the L&R sear bar is well over .100” further from the trigger pivot point, and also lower (closer) to the trigger (changing the angle relationship). Both of these geometry changes can increase the trigger pull, especially the distance from the trigger pivot point. You can try reducing the strength of the sear spring, but I would have a spare on hand before tying to reduce it too much on your Cabin Creek tuned lock.

First picture is of a factory Lyman lock. Note the distance from the lock mounting hole to the sear bar. The second photograph is of a RPR Lyman replacement lock. Notice the greater distance between the lock mounting hole. If this change results in three pounds of trigger pull increase, the L&R RPL lock may be a poor choice for a single trigger Lyman. More money, but maybe time for a Davis Deerslayer double set trigger if it will fit.
1634518931163.jpeg

1634518963185.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you for your great reply. How would you go about lightening up on the sear spring? I have read that you only remove material from one surface but I forgot which one. Thanks SDSmlf! First though I will check for wood contact as others have suggested as well.

Thank you for your great reply. How would you go about lightening up on the sear spring? I have read that you only remove material from one surface but I forgot which one. Thanks SDSmlf! First though I will check for wood contact as others have suggested as well.
Thin the sear spring by filing or grinding. Always grind or file long ways, never across the spring as it can cause the spring to break when flexed. After thinning use emery cloth or stone to polish out all roughness. When grinding never get it hotter than your fingers allow, as it could mess up the temper.
Don't get carried away, do a little and then do more if needed. Take too much off and the sear may not engage in the tumbler.
Good luck
Larry

The best bet is to thin the side of the sear spring. Hold it on the screw side with vice grips. Point the leg toward the ground when grinding. Give it a 3-count of light contact then quench. Be careful, the chance of launching the spring is significant.

@erhunter just curious if the pedersoli lock was not to your liking or you had issues with it?
It was a stock Lyman Trade Rifle lock that FedEx lost on the way to Cabin Creek for a tune up. With the original being lost I had little choice but to go with the L&R RPL 5 flint lock to get away from the coil type lock from Lyman.

Thanks er. I have one in a GPR rifle that I put in right away so I still have the Lyman lock that came with the gun which is brand new. I like the L&R lock alot I teamed it up with a set of the Davis triggers. I had Jack Brooks work mine over when he installed the lock and triggers in my gun. I hope you get your trigger pull worked out

If Cabin Creek tuned your lock I would be greatly surprised if your problem is the lock. I would bet you have wood interference somewhere. Get you a candle or a kerosine lamp and soot it up good and install the lock, cycle it a few times, pull the lock and see what you have. The first thing to check is if the sear bar is too long or rubbing somewhere.

Back