• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

L & R replacement locks for Lyman flint lock Great Plains rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevew

40 Cal
Reaction score
Has anyone upgraded their lock with one of these? I have read that they are not exactly a drop in fit. Just how much work is actually involved with this? Could somebody post some pics of their rifle with the upgraded lock?

I did an RPL-5 on my Lyman Trade Rifle and it wasn't that difficult. Took maybe a half hour and take your time. Like many on this forum say, it's easier to go slow taking wood off than trying to put it back. If you have even entry level wood skills this shouldn't be a problem. The next thing I suggest is sending your lock to Cabin Creek Muzzleloaders to Brad or Shane Emig before you put it in. They did a fantastic tuning on my flinter lock.

I did my GPR right out of the box. I also put in the Davis triggers. I had Jack Brooks do mine and he also tuned the lock and case hardened the lock. I will get a picture up later today. The lock works great and is fast. I also changed out the touch hole liner for an RMC touch hole liner.

I did my GPR right out of the box. I also put in the Davis triggers. I had Jack Brooks do mine and he also tuned the lock and case hardened the lock. I will get a picture up later today. The lock works great and is fast. I also changed out the touch hole liner for an RMC touch hole liner.
I’m looking forward to the images…

In my experience the L&R RPL is a performance upgrade to the Lyman/Investarms flintlock. I’ve installed a few in Lyman rifles and found them to be somewhat of a PIA to install, not exactly a drop in replacement. Lockplate geometry doesn’t match Lyman factory mortice very well (too large in some areas, too small in others) plus it’s a crapshoot if it will line up with factory touchhole location. This has nothing to do with the wood you have to remove for the locks internal springs, which I find simple and straightforward. Here is a photograph of one of the locks installed.
1656698008241.jpeg

I changed out the lock on my GPR back about three years ago for the L&R RPL #05 made for that rifle and it was not tough to do if you just take your time with it. Took me about 45 minutes total (sorry I didn't make any photos), Anyway, the L&R lock is head and shoulders better than the original lock and made my GPR a very reliable and good shooting gun. You will be glad you made the switch!

From the way it sounds I don't think it's something that I would want to tackle. I probably would have to farm it out to someone. Also a little concerned about the touch lining up properly. The factory lock sometimes won't lock in full cock position. It seems the rifle needs to be in a horizontal position. Any ideas as to why this may be?

Here you go it was not that bad mine lined up properly. It was a bit of wood removal nothing hard took me like 30 minutes but, this was the first time I have done anything like this. I probably took too much wood out lol but, hey it works good. I had to cut down the sear bar a tad as it was dragging a little. I love my GPR!

Attachments

• 20211108_121617.jpg
    20211108_121617.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 0
Sure, the spendy aftermarket locks are more traditional construction and are really nice looking, but I've never considered the need to replace the Investarms locks on any of my rifles. Mine all work just fine, although some tuning to smooth them out is needed. I've always been an advocate of set triggers, however, after very little work on my Trade Rifle (better sear plunger spring), it's much smoother let off, and accuracy with the single trigger is good.

I've also found that the Lyman/Investarms can benefit from opening up the touch hole to improve ignition. A .067" (#51) drill bit is ideal and makes a world of difference. Don't blame your ignition failures on the lock when the touch hole just needs o be a hair bigger.

Not an ignition issue, in fact I have not even shot this rifle yet. Problem is, it does not set in the full cocked position at times. Half cocked never fails but full is hit and miss.

Not an ignition issue, in fact I have not even shot this rifle yet. Problem is, it does not set in the full cocked position at times. Half cocked never fails but full is hit and miss.
Not necessarily a good reason to replace a lock. Does it go to full cock when not in the stock? If it functions when not in the stock, good chance problem is caused by something like the stock interfering with the sear bar or maybe the trigger is set too deep in the stock for example. Usually a simple fix.

@SDSmlf is on the right track. I agree that the failure to being able to put the hammer to hold in the full cock notch is likely due to the trigger plate being pulled too deeply into the trigger mortise. A shim between the trigger plate and the lock mortise should solve the problem. Do test the lock to see if the hammer can catch the full cock notch if the triggers are removed.

Back