• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

L R Queen Anne less spark

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryK

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a very nice Matt Avance Virginia in 54 caliber. I has always had reliable fast ignition, but this hunting season I was getting a lot of failures to light the pan. I tried different flints, but still fails to flash sometimes. It is hard to say, but on testing, I swear there is a lot less spark.
I guess I am at the point of frizzen issues? So if that is true, should I buy a new frizzen from LR, or should I try to fix the current frizzen. And is the fix resurfacing with that carbon stuff? I forget the term, but you heat the part and dunk it in some carbon crystals. I think they do that in a shop in Chambersburg PA, or maybe Dixons?

These kinds of things are best diagnosed in hand. An experienced gunsmith with the lock in hand would know in 2 minutes. We could offer a hundred wrong suggestions.

Is the frizzen hard? Try to file the face. I very much doubt it has become soft. These are hardened through and through.

Yeah, give L&R a call. I have that same lock and just about can't seem to do anything to stop it from working. Too little powder, fires fine. Overload the pan...still fires fine. Smooth and fast, and I good sparker, I like that lock a LOT. I did have to send it in to them once for a new frizzen spring. I rarely pull that off - maybe once a year - to clean it well and underneath it. Of course, it fell between the slats under my deck into the weeds below and I couldn't find it. I called them up and they offered to install it for the price of the part. I commented that it fires fine even without it the spring, which surprised me. They said that the reason that spring was there was to keep the pan closed while moving around and to keep the frizzen from rebounding and hitting the cock or flint. Said they'd go through the lock while they had it and let me know if it needed anything else.

I lived in VA at the time and they are in North (south?) Carolina. I sent it to them and a week later had it back in hand with a note that said, "nice lock!". Only charge was for the part and a couple of bucks for shipping it back. They are GREAT folks to deal with and I'm sure they'd be happy to check it out and get working right again.

Twisted_1in66 :thumb:
Dan

I guess these things happen, but I had 3 flaky black flints from one batch I had in my range box. I would get 3 or 4 shots before they lacked spark. I think I got that bag of flints locally. I tested it with 3 blonde french flints and it sparks like crazy again. I videoed the tests on slow mo with my iphone X, and that really showed the night and day difference. The bag of black flints is tossed now. So that was a good lesson.

Back