• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

L & R out of business?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt Flint

40 Cal
Reaction score
There is a rumor afoot that L&R has closed shop or sold out. The website is no longer there. I know about the poor quality issues and just wonder if it caught up with them?

Oh no, geez I hope not. I'm one of those who has had several L&R locks that I thought were fine (and one with some issues), but the point is that it's a small industry with limited choices to begin with and I for one don't wish to have even fewer choices moving forward.

Man I hope not, I mean I’ve had issues with many of the L&R lock I’ve owned over the years, but they always stood behind thier product. Let us know if you find out anymore. I’ve looked for thier website and indeed it’s gone.

If this is the case, should I (with an L&R Queen Anne) order spare parts while they are available?

If it were true that they were going out of business, I would think one of the other companies in the industry would be interested in buying the assets/business. It’s certainly one of the better known brands in the industry.

There is a rumor afoot that L&R has closed shop or sold out. The website is no longer there. I know about the poor quality issues and just wonder if it caught up with them?
This was news to me. Not that I have my finger on the pulse of the industry or anything, but if it's true, you would have expected more warning.

I looked up their website, and sure enough, it's not there.

I have several guns with their locks. The one flintlock needed some tweaking to get it sparking properly, but it functioned well otherwise, and it's a great lock now. The percussion locks were first-rate, just as they were.

If L&R goes under, it will be a major blow to our sport. They not only make a great variety of locks, but they also cast side plates to go with them, and they make several types of triggers and patent breeches, not to mention the RPL locks to upgrade the mass-produced guns. It is true, there are some remarkable new flint locks coming out now, from Kibler and Laubach, but these builders don't have a wide selection, and we need good percussion locks, too.

I hope to get to the bottom of this rumor.

Notchy Bob

This was news to me. Not that I have my finger on the pulse of the industry or anything, but if it's true, you would have expected more warning.

I looked up their website, and sure enough, it's not there.

I have several guns with their locks. The one flintlock needed some tweaking to get it sparking properly, but it functioned well otherwise, and it's a great lock now. The percussion locks were first-rate, just as they were.

If L&R goes under, it will be a major blow to our sport. They not only make a great variety of locks, but they also cast side plates to go with them, and they make several types of triggers and patent breeches, not to mention the RPL locks to upgrade the mass-produced guns. It is true, there are some remarkable new flint locks coming out now, from Kibler and Laubach, but these builders don't have a wide selection, and we need good percussion locks, too.

I hope to get to the bottom of this rumor.

Notchy Bob

I hope it's not true as well.
Sometimes you don't get a warning. In 2009, one of the larger manufacturers in my industry was shipping about 60 waterjet cutting machines a year (at about $150k each) until they closed their doors with no warning. Taking phone calls on Friday, but on Monday nobody answered. No warning. Their suppliers left holding the bag on invoices. It happens. Hoping like heck that this is just a server issue with L&R. But, having said that, seeing a "This Domain Has Expired" line is a very bad sign. Companies almost always have their domain name set to automatically renew, to avoid issues. I clicked the "Renew" button and was taken to a company called ENOM. Their business? Reselling domains.

Sometimes if you go to your bank and they say you are done that is the end of the story. You may be there for an extension on a note or additional funds. It could be the bank is treading on thin ice and the bank regulators tell them to clean it up or it may be a board a long distance away that suddenly gets tight with things. Saw that a lot in the late 80s and early 90s in the farming community during the so called farm crisis.

Back