• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

L&R Locks?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was checking out the L and R Rpl locks and I was wondering how much better there are as apposed to the TC lock or the Investarms lock. If it is going to make a big difference then I will probably do it. Please let me know.

Bob...

from my exp they are better than TC, Lyman, etc. but not as good as a chambers. If you have a TC, call Cabincreek up. Brad will replace your frizzen with one of his and tune your lock for around 100 bucks. My dad had him fix up his TC lock and it works almost as fast as my large siler

Have never needed one so can't say from swapping one, always had success with the T/C & Lyman locks.
If I had a T/C lock with issues, I would send it to them for an Free Upgrade. They did one for me & Many others, at no cost other than the initial ? $5. shipping cost. Got it back in a couple of weeks with a new hammer & new frizzen & it worked wonderfully. The T/C has a Lifetime Warrant. Doesn't matter how old or who owns it, so I would go that route first. :wink:

Keith Lisle

For a TC gun it is hard to beat a TC lock.
They fit, they work, they have warranty.
What more could you want?
Historicaly correct maybe not, but neither is the gun, but who cares.
Now most of the Spanish locks, that is another story :cursing: :cursing:
Lyman, TC, and Invest Arms.
Those coil spring locks...you can't kill them.
I do hope my opinionated beliefs are of use.
Old Ford

I don't have much experience, but I just swapped out a Traditions lock about 3 weeks ago. I used the L&R RPL and the difference is great- it works now. My problem is there is a casting flaw in the cock so I have to send it back.

My Lyman GPR wasn't throwing much of a spark out of the box. I replaced the flint with a black english flint wrapped in lead and set to strike the lower half of the frizzen. It throws a ton of sparks now, I don't see any reason to change it.

I agree, my Lyman lock is as reliable as any I have used, I have no desire to change mine.

So, then I will take it that the investarms locks are not bad? Got a Cabelas hawkens for Christmas and was thinking about upgrading parts. Don't know if it is worth it. Not quite ready for a custom gun yet.

If you want to improve your rifle the best thing you could do is to change the trigger assembly to the Davis set trigger.

Follow this link to see this trigger assembly.
It is a drop in (meaning that there might be a little scraping of the stocks mortice but it basically does fit like it should). http://www.redaviscompany.com/1007.html
For the price you can't beat it and it greatly improves both the unset trigger pull and the set trigger pull.

In my opinion, it's the best $40 you can spend on your gun.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have done several of the Lyman to L&R and the TC to L&R. The Lyman to L&R is almost a must do unless you replace the cock with a new style TC cock. The TC to L&R is different but is not an improvement (coil vs leaf). I like it and I shoot both but differently not any better functioning.

(later post?)

But are you asking about Lyman, TC or Cabela's Hawken? If there was an L&R replacement for it, I suspect it would be worthwhile. No matter what the Davis trigger is great, a very worthwhile upgrade.

I'm talking about the Cabelas Hawkens. From what I understand investarms makes the gun for both Lyman and Cabelas. The stock is nice but I'm not crazy about the trigger so I will probably go what the replacement that was suggested. I was just wondering if the L&R would be a big improvement over the investarms lock.

I have had zero problems with the Investarms [Lyman] flintlocks as they are. As long as I have a good flint they have been as reliable as any I have used.

Hoser1268 said:
I'm talking about the Cabelas Hawkens. From what I understand investarms makes the gun for both Lyman and Cabelas. The stock is nice but I'm not crazy about the trigger so I will probably go what the replacement that was suggested. I was just wondering if the L&R would be a big improvement over the investarms lock.

I have no idea if the Davis trigger or an L&R replacement lock will fit the gun you are talking about (Cabela's Hawken) but if they do fit, I would do it without hesitation. Like now!

If a company like L&R makes replacement locks ( and has for years) they are making money from them. It is not cheap to set up production for a new lock. I know they make at lest 5 or more rep.locks. It tells you something about the locks they are replaceing, dose it not :hmm: AL

It's a good thing that I am happy with my Lyman lock as is. It's left handed.

I have several L&R locks and visited their shop in Sumter, SC a couple of years ago just to see them. (Actually visited the old and new shop at different times.) I liked all that I saw. I also got spare parts and another lock.

I spoke with them about the RPL line. L&R makes the RPL locks for people who need or want replacements. There is a market. They are good locks, but the coiled locks are generally good enough for the rifles that they come on. I agree with the trigger replacement suggestion as the better first step. But from there, I would be looking at a rifle upgrade before just upgrading the lock. These entry level guns are just that. You can spend a lot on them, but after all that expense, they are still entry level guns.
If these do not satisfy you, look at a semi custom rifle or kit.

Just put one on my DGW Mountain Rifle it dropped straight in and works well. My original lock is getting worn, I just grabbed the L&R while I could. :thumbsup:

...But from there, I would be looking at a rifle upgrade before just upgrading the lock. These entry level guns are just that. You can spend a lot on them, but after all that expense, they are still entry level guns.
If these do not satisfy you, look at a semi custom rifle or kit.

I have asked this question several times just what would that get me? Where would it be a “rifle upgrade” for me?

I have asked this question several times just what would that get me? Where would it be a “rifle upgrade” for me?

I have recently returned from a job overseas for a couple of years where I was not able to obtain black powder and was absent from this group. (Yes, this was a sore trial to me, but I survived by using the muzzleloader of the Pacific -- ie a speargun)
Therefore, I know nothing of your earlier questions.

However, I will try to give you an answer by explaining my own history.

My father had a T/C kit from 1976 which I built much later. I then built a Renegade to accompany him on hunts. My job caused me to move so I left the guns with my brother and father. I then built another for me. I now had 3 intro rifles before even starting to shoot seriously. Then, I shot with various people and used their guns. ML shooters are a generous and helpful people. I enjoyed shooting, but soon wanted a rifle that fit me better and was capable of getting me in the competition game. I also developed different tastes for rifle styles and began to realize that there are reasons for the differences in these styles beyond aesthetics. I finally built a long rifle kit and my shooting improved greatly. Some hunting successes and continued involvement in local competition left me wanting more.
Then I tried a flintlock rifle and built one of those and had success in hunting with that too. Then I shot a smoothbore and bought one of those in flint. More hunting success and different hunting opportunities.
What does it get you? The wife rolls her eyes when I get new catalogs or very long boxes from suppliers. I have tools, worktables and smelly chemicals everywhere and I have a table devoted to casting lead projectiles. In short, I am an addict.

So my advice to you is this -- run! Get away! There is still hope for you as demonstrated by your asking of this question...
:grin:

Or you can start looking at various gun styles; refine your own tastes; try them out to see which work for you; study your own measurements and contemplate your deeper involvement in the land of black powder toys.
:thumbsup:

YMHS,
CrackStock

Latest posts

Back