• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

L&R Locks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a pair of L&R flint locks a couple of years ago. One sear lever chipped but they sent a free spare to the UK within a week

Horrors later. They had become rusty from condensation so I left them for 20 mins in rust removal. Horrors the main springs were in bitts. WHY???!!!!! Sadly no reply from L&R. I did not like the price of new L&R springs or quality

I bought eBay a pair of old back action , like on my underlever , shotgun locks £14. I tried the main springs and they fitted perfectly. . I little bit more springy but powerful. Around 1880 I guess made in Birmingham One advantage of UK plenty of old cheap shotgun bits around. There’s a couple on eBay now around £21, 4 hours to go not bidding £30

I have bought a couple of 1820 Bess east India company locks on eBay, but few and far between , over £260 now I’ll go for them in future but constant eBay checking very good locks with masses of sparks
But make no mistake they are big locks big flints. Ha ha love them

I wish you well sunny today but heavy rain for rest of week

yeah, don’t use evaporust or the like on springs. I found it the hard way on a Brown Bess. Nick sent me a link to an article.

@FlinterNick

The lock I mentioned was by L.C. Rice not Kibler if their is any confusion.
For me the number one part on your gun build or kit is the lock... Being cheap is a NO NO an I'm cheap...

I bought a pair of L&R flint locks a couple of years ago. One sear lever chipped but they sent a free spare to the UK within a week

Horrors later. They had become rusty from condensation so I left them for 20 mins in rust removal. Horrors the main springs were in bitts. WHY???!!!!! Sadly no reply from L&R. I did not like the price of new L&R springs or quality

I bought eBay a pair of old back action , like on my underlever , shotgun locks £14. I tried the main springs and they fitted perfectly. . I little bit more springy but powerful. Around 1880 I guess made in Birmingham One advantage of UK plenty of old cheap shotgun bits around. There’s a couple on eBay now around £21, 4 hours to go not bidding £30

I have bought a couple of 1820 Bess east India company locks on eBay, but few and far between , over £260 now I’ll go for them in future but constant eBay checking very good locks with masses of sparks
But make no mistake they are big locks big flints. Ha ha love them

I wish you well sunny today but heavy rain for rest of week
Did you oil the parts before storing them?

I've had an L&R Queen Anne lock in my Early Lancaster Longrifle from a private builder. It works first time every time and I used it for a lot of reenactments while I lived in VA between 2006 and 2015. Not a lot or reenactments since I moved to Washington state, but it still works great.

Only part I ever had to replace was the frizzen spring. Had to replace it because I decided to remove to do a good cleaning while in the field after the last battle of the day. It fell in the tall grass and I never find it. Wrote to them asking to buy another and they said to send it in to them and they'd replace and install if for the price of the spring. Did that and had it back a week later all installed with a note that said, "Nice Lock!" I clean and oil my lock at the end of every day that I use it. Mine is just a great lock and I had the best experience with them.

Did you oil the parts before storing them?

I've had an L&R Queen Anne lock in my Early Lancaster Longrifle from a private builder. It works first time every time and I used it for a lot of reenactments while I lived in VA between 2006 and 2015. Not a lot or reenactments since I moved to Washington state, but it still works great.

Only part I ever had to replace was the frizzen spring. Had to replace it because I decided to remove to do a good cleaning while in the field after the last battle of the day. It fell in the tall grass and I never find it. Wrote to them asking to buy another and they said to send it in to them and they'd replace and install if for the price of the spring. Did that and had it back a week later all installed with a note that said, "Nice Lock!" I clean and oil my lock at the end of every day that I use it. Mine is just a great lock and I had the best experience with them.

Yes I oil and clean them now and again but being by the window the suffer from condensation and patches of rust start to show. But I like where they are. I was amazed the springs disintegrated when I used rust remover I hesitate to add, the wife don’t like them there. Ha ha But who wants them locked away

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I don't remember who said it Carmichael or O'Conner but they said that you only hunt les then 10% of the time so for 90% of the time your guns should be beautiful. I have always took that to mean great wood no fake stripes or bling for me, tasteful carving is a plus

I don't remember who said it Carmichael or O'Conner but they said that you only hunt les then 10% of the time so for 90% of the time your guns should be beautiful. I have always took that to mean great wood no fake stripes or bling for me, tasteful carving is a plus

Forgive me but been searching for Jager rifle string. But as you are reading this you might find it interesting

mhttps://youtu.be/kwzB8fs6UHw?si=U7JQV43GBm-Kn_Hr

I won a Swiss ml 10.4mm Feldstutzer at holts uk auction around £850. Lovely rifle from after 1851? I have always wanted a Jager , and then watching the above clip. I find mine is not a Feldstutzer but a true Jager, well if the clip guy has got it right. I am absolutely over the moon Both rifles being exactly the same Mine with more engraving etc. note identical bayonet holder. This is amazing

Do I have a percussion Jager rifle ???? , I cannot believe it. That seems to be the German owner on the ticket

WOW

Attachments

• DA55959E-1105-44F6-B936-013C30CF2385.jpeg
    DA55959E-1105-44F6-B936-013C30CF2385.jpeg
    964.5 KB · Views: 0
  • D48F1CF9-E5EB-44A5-A774-65972ACADFEF.jpeg
    D48F1CF9-E5EB-44A5-A774-65972ACADFEF.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 9CCE2E09-4253-44D7-A715-08107D7438CA.jpeg
    9CCE2E09-4253-44D7-A715-08107D7438CA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 79C34FD4-4A94-48E3-A752-A5E88205C607.jpeg
    79C34FD4-4A94-48E3-A752-A5E88205C607.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Forgive me but been searching for Jager rifle string. But as you are reading this you might find it interesting

mhttps://youtu.be/kwzB8fs6UHw?si=U7JQV43GBm-Kn_Hr

I won a Swiss ml 10.4mm Feldstutzer at holts uk auction around £850. Lovely rifle from after 1851? I have always wanted a Jager , and then watching the above clip. I find mine is not a Feldstutzer but a true Jager, well if the clip guy has got it right. I am absolutely over the moon Both rifles being exactly the same Mine with more engraving etc. note identical bayonet holder. This is amazing

Do I have a percussion Jager rifle ???? , I cannot believe it. That seems to be the German owner on the ticket

WOW

This might help. Utube

Antique Militaria – 19th Century German Percussion Jager Rifle

There was a display of the new LC Rice locks at the Alabama Kentucky rifle show. If I remember correctly, these are CNC locks as well. I looked one over and found them to be very well made and much like a Kibler, I didn't think it was appropriate to spark one so I just looked.

I use two L&R lock styles , the trade gun lock for Fusil de Chasse ive made and the Queen Anne I just love for Carolina Guns ... I do wish the sear would go to the same position on each position but its not a huge deal . I love their springs and frizzens . Been great locks for me . I love the aesthetics of the R.E. Davis Old English locks for my beloved N.W. trade guns but MAN !! Ive had so many issues with them ! Esp. after Larry Zornes quit making them . I dont believe ive ever sent an L&R lock back for exchange or repair ...wish I could say that about the R.E. Davis. Funny ... I like the L&R Queen Anne left hand lock better than the right hand version ! Little better made lock ! LOL

Attachments

• IMG_20221126_134212.jpg
    IMG_20221126_134212.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230620_161447~2.jpg
    IMG_20230620_161447~2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230509_183327.jpg
    IMG_20230509_183327.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1670634989729.jpg
    FB_IMG_1670634989729.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221217_104145.jpg
    IMG_20221217_104145.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231016_183134~2.jpg
    IMG_20231016_183134~2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
There was a display of the new LC Rice locks at the Alabama Kentucky rifle show. If I remember correctly, these are CNC locks as well. I looked one over and found them to be very well made and much like a Kibler, I didn't think it was appropriate to spark one so I just looked.
Interesting .....

Back