• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

L&R Locks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've owned a number of firearms that featured an L&R flintlock. Every one of them has been good but a recent situation has been above and beyond. I purchased a really eye-catching left handed longrifle online. The seller claimed it had a Siler lock and that the barrel was "unmarked". On arrival I discovered that the barrel was a G.R. Douglas and the lock a Russ Hamm. I proceeded to shoot the dickens out of it and it is as accurate as it is pretty. Then I noticed that the hammer or cock was slightly out of alignment. Enough to cause the shoulder on the hammer that should come to rest on the top of the lockplate and arrest forward motion to slip off. This puts stress on the mainspring and other internal parts. Time was that I'd have taken the lock to my workbench but that was before I became effectively blind in one eye and don't see all that well out of the other one. I contacted one lock manufacturer and was turned down. Then I contacted L&R. They told me to send it to them. They received the lock on a Tuesday, notified me they were ready to ship it back on Thursday, and I received it Saturday. They had tuned the lock and corrected the hammer problem. I'm not going to state how much they charged but it was a good bit less than what I expected and would have been willing to pay. So my hat's off to the folks at L&R. Thanks to them a bit of muzzleloading history will continue to shoot.
John
20190725_184448.jpg

I've owned a number of firearms that featured an L&R flintlock. Every one of them has been good but a recent situation has been above and beyond. I purchased a really eye-catching left handed longrifle online. The seller claimed it had a Siler lock and that the barrel was "unmarked". On arrival I discovered that the barrel was a G.R. Douglas and the lock a Russ Hamm. I proceeded to shoot the dickens out of it and it is as accurate as it is pretty. Then I noticed that the hammer or cock was slightly out of alignment. Enough to cause the shoulder on the hammer that should come to rest on the top of the lockplate and arrest forward motion to slip off. This puts stress on the mainspring and other internal parts. Time was that I'd have taken the lock to my workbench but that was before I became effectively blind in one eye and don't see all that well out of the other one. I contacted one lock manufacturer and was turned down. Then I contacted L&R. They told me to send it to them. They received the lock on a Tuesday, notified me they were ready to ship it back on Thursday, and I received it Saturday. They had tuned the lock and corrected the hammer problem. I'm not going to state how much they charged but it was a good bit less than what I expected and would have been willing to pay. So my hat's off to the folks at L&R. Thanks to them a bit of muzzleloading history will continue to shoot.
JohnView attachment 17133
It's always nice to hear that a company will do what they can to fix someones problem even if the problem wasn't made by them.
It's that sort of thing that earns them a big applause.

The problem with them doing good things like that is often, no one takes the time to let others know about their good deeds. Thanks for posting this.
:) :thumbs up:

I to have a lovely rifle made in the 1960's Russ Hamm lock that I replaced with an L&R RPL drop in lock from Tow. Great little lock, had it tuned by a chap in Minnesota before sending it down under. Funny, this rifle also has a Douglas barrel. and is a real tack driver. Could never the the Hamm lock to be reliable.

I have replaced several locks with L&R, especially the locks with coil springs. I just don't like coil springs, yeh, they work, just a personal preference.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It's really nice to hear about a company that really knows customer service!

Sweet! I've used and built with L&R locks for some time, I've never had a bad problem with one, all could use some TLC in the cosmetic dept. But worked just fine. I know some folks tune them up extensively, but I'm really not that skilled, and just used them as is except for stoning and browning. I remember when Everything had a Siler lock it seemed. I was glad to see the variety they brought to the table. I'm glad they helped you with your lock.

I have an L&R that seemed slow. I called for suggestions, and they said to send it in. It was an older model and they installed a new main spring. It was repaired and returned in 5 days. When it was returned, there was a note telling me to make sure there was sufficient mortise clearance as the new main spring was slightly larger. In fact, it did rub! Three slivers with a sharp chisel and I had a much faster lock.
Two thumbs up to L&R!

While were on a praise L&R lock theme Ile add my two pence I bought & sold many and never found any fault .I once asked the then owner what L & R stood for? he said" Loose & rusty ". .The Hamms fraid not but they are earlier offerings . I've had no problem with Davis his Twigg a most elegant lock . Vance became L&R I really cant think of a bad lock maker even the cheap Italian' Dixie Ketlands 'worked up fine. Those locks I don't rate but don't use I will not mention. I do recall at one Freindship I spotted a late English lock plate in Montana barrels junk box I rummaged found every part .But Harrison says" I cant sell it you .it was given us to blow out as parts only"' having been sold as a kit and got balls up so badly they gave him a new lock .So I ask Bill Cox would he let me buy it from Harrison he agreed I think Harrison gave it me . I worked it up and had it for years on a rifle dubbed ' Pebble Gun' (not be me ) .I believe he stopped selling kits .Unless to known lock assemblers like Herman Stone of Locks & Stuff .Every body loves Siler it was the leading lock its still a good lock if it sufferered from needing its own size flint ' Small & Large Sila' is how Tom Fuller reffered to it .I bought his flints by the thousands . Jim Chambers does fine locks . the new player I don't know of them but they look good .We are really much better off for choice along with Lennard Day & Rifle Shoppe really spoil us for choice Ive a powder box full of locks. but still have to make some kinds from scratch . That's about me' Locked out' so Ile desist .
Regards Rudyard

I have been using L&R locks on my builds for years, absolutely no complaints.
Yes they come with a somewhat frosty outward finish, but I expect to finish a gun and it's parts.
GREAT locks!

Back