• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

L&R Locks - Current Quality?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailcreek

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I've been planning for a future build, and it appears that my lock choice is somewhat limited to L&R due to the style needed. I've read a number of more distant past posts related to their quality, which seems hit or miss. Some swear by them ... others at them.

Where are they at today? Thanks!

Same boat just recently.

Ended up calling L&R and getting some questions answered. He shipped me a lock that same day. Within 20 minutes of hanging up the phone I got an email with tracking number.

One of the smoothest locks I've ever played with. So I'm in the camp that'll swear by them, until they let me down. I'll have another L&R flinter coming in soon as well for another build.

I've got an older one on a poor boy smoothy. It's probably 10 years old. It must've been made on a Friday or Monday. It's a pile. Loose frizzen, as in they filed the area where the frizzen pivot screw goes too thin. Anny attempt to tighten the screw starts to bend the outer ear on the lock. Weak springs. Came to the house rusty. Hence the letters L and R, for loose and rusty. That turned me off to those locks. I do hope the quality has gone up.

I have two on a .6 double I built Nice locks. The trigger sear on one chipped off on the tumbler. A brief email to L&R and a free replacement arrived in London 5 days later I cannot otherwise comment Other than they spark very well

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 68044122900__4684B4DE-B548-46B1-85EE-D27D0EF14223.MOV
    5 MB
An LR lock was the only lock I’ve ever had a frizzen break on me, it was an obvious tempering flaw as the crack was straight across the pan cover to the foot. With 1095 being a high carbon forging steel (low alloy), its very likely to crack if not tempered appropriately.

Otherwise, I think they’re locks are fine.

Last edited:
Over the past 15 years I have built 3 rifles and one fowler using L&R locks. Other than a little polishing of internals (which I would do anyways....) they have functioned perfectly. I have had more trouble with Davis and Siler locks than the L&R

I find no reason to use one, UNLESS, no other manufacturer makes one appropriate for that particular build.
For a few dollars more, you can have a Chambers, or Kibler, and never look back.
Many experiences with springs, and frizzens, …… not going to give one of those to a client. Can’t warranty a gun with a poor quality lock.
JMHO.

I am building an "Ohio" rifle with a back action lock. I am using the L&R as there are no others on the market. I have other L&R locks that work fine. My problem with the back action lock is that the geometry of the lock doesn't match the patent hook breech they also market. I have had to move the lock back away from the breech and leave a bit of wood between the lock and breech. There are originals made like that, but that wasn't my plan...

Back