• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

L&R lock trouble

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzly Adams

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I am having trouble with my L&R Late English flintlock. It is a bit rough on flints, and requires a razor sharp one to get a spark. If the flint is not perfect, it will not spark. Is the frizzen to hard or too soft? Any ideas are welcome and appreciated.

It's probably too hard for a slightly dull flint to bite into it.

I wouldn't advise that you mess with it though.
Try contacting the people at L&R Lock and tell them about your problem.
http://www.lr-rpl.com/

They should be more than happy to fix the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, contact L&R.
My Ole English lock is just fine.
I have learned (the hard way) is these companies farm out most of the work and occasionally they will get a bad batch of steel. When that happens you can't really fix a soft or overly hard frizzen.

I had a very similar issue with my late English. eats flints after 10 shots. I sent the lock back to L&R they replaced the frizzen spring with a stiffer one and check out the lock operation. now works well. L&R folks are very good to work with.

I too noticed my frizzen spring is a little weak. I have a slow motion video app on my phone and I took a video of the firing sequence of the lock, easy enough to see the frizzen bounce back and hit the flint.

The ultra slo-mo that Pletch took show that ALL frizzens bounce back to some extent. Some bounce with enough force to actually hit the flint and break it, others only hit it enough to make it loose in the jaws, while some very special locks don't bounce back enough to ever touch the flint. When you find one of these, keep it.

My Chambers Siler is like that, almost, if not zero bounce back. The lock was shipped off today to L&R to get fixed. Any idea on how long it takes?

I had lost a frizzen spring in the grass and rather than have them send me one, they said to send them the lock and they'd install and test it for just the price of the part. I got it back about 1 week later with a note inside, "Nice lock".

Great folks and quick turn around.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:
Dan

Back