• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

L&R Lock Company

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I posted a thread recently about my lock and trigger problems with my Bedford County kit from TOW. I did contact them about it and they told me to return the lock to them or to L&R. I was going to return it to TOW but later decided to contact L&R. I’m glad I did. Very helpful and understanding. Even after I told them of my trying to “fix” the lock. They told me to send it to them and they would start work on it right away. Replace any parts that were messed up or ones I messed up. They told me it was warranty work. They seem like good stand up folks. I’ve read threads about their quality. QA could be the problem. But the picture of a tumbler with the fly they sent me did not look like my tumbler and fly. They seem very willing to help out though. I thought I would let some folks know about my dealings with them so far. TOW are good people too.

Jon

My one experience with an L&R lock was on an old gun that I bought that was unfired. The mainspring was weak, and i contacted them to buy a new spring. They offered to fix it for free, and said it had an old cast spring and they have since been updated. I got the spring from them and fixed it myself, but they were more than helpful, even though the lock was 20 years old or more, and I didn't even buy the thing from them. It's a fine lock now, no complaints from me.

I got my lock back from L&R today. I installed it in the stock and it works great. They said they put a new seat in. I don’t know what that is but it worked. Very good people to to business with.

Jon

L and R has a tremendous amount of experience fixing their locks for customers over and over. They spend more time rebuilding than building.

L and R has a tremendous amount of experience fixing their locks for customers over and over. They spend more time rebuilding than building.

I don’t know about that. But I would not hesitate to buy another lock from them. I have a Chambers lock for another project that I broke the main spring trying to disassemble the lock. My fault of course. Does Chambers have that degree of backing up their locks? I would like to know. The Chambers lock is more refined though. And seemed smoother. But right now I don’t see how it could get any better with a different lock. It’s working flawlessly. Continuing the build!

Jon

Jim Chambers stands behind his locks and his guarantee. He replaced a mainspring once instantly with the comment “No charge at all, they are not supposed to break”.

Cpt Flint, that’s good to know. All of the vendors I have dealt with since starting this flintlock hobby have been nothing but helpful. It seems to me the people into the whole flintlock thing are good genuine folks. I feel this is a good community to be a part of.

Jon

Give Chambers a call about the spring they will treat you fairly. The last time I broke one of their springs they wanted the old one back after they sent me a new one to see if there was a casting flaw. The replacement spring was no charge. BJH

I own Chambers, L&R, and more recently a Kimber Colonial. I have not had any issues with my Chambers and L&R’s that I have used heavily for several years. The Chambers are more finely finished then the L&R’s. The Kibler, in terms of fit, finish, and overall design is in a class of it’s own. The very heavy weight of the hammer spring(cocking force) does takes some getting used to and it’s hard on flints compared to my other locks. My favorite is my Chambers Dale Johnson lock that’s mounted on my Lancaster rifle. Very fast lock time, silky smooth, and forgiving of flint positioning with heavy sparking and long flint life.
1D4A80F2-0258-4195-8DC7-59DB8B20F8C1.jpeg

Back