• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

L/H Tennessee 32 Flint rifle build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And a few more

Attachments

• FABD9E97-35B9-4603-8EB0-F64232AAEB9C.jpeg
    FABD9E97-35B9-4603-8EB0-F64232AAEB9C.jpeg
    280.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 05B7CC4C-B928-4576-8233-28EC248BDDA7.jpeg
    05B7CC4C-B928-4576-8233-28EC248BDDA7.jpeg
    268 KB · Views: 99
  • 88A4757D-92DE-4193-9091-80607FEBB14A.jpeg
    88A4757D-92DE-4193-9091-80607FEBB14A.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 83
What finish did you use on the butt plate, barrel etc? It looks darker than just a brown . . . I like it . . it's the color I want on my upcoming southern build. I'm looking for more black than brown.

I used TOTW tried and true browning solution. When humidity was low I would put on several coats a day and sometimes mist some water on in between. My first carding was just denim and water and then four ought steel wool until smooth. Final scrub with steel wool and baking soda bath. Dry with towel then heat with a propane torch to drive moisture out and spray with oil while pretty warm.
The screws are fire blued.

Thanks . . . Love fired blue screws . . So, with that treatment, in person, does it look rust brown or more of a chocolate dark brown? I'd like to get near a black, but I am not sure I'd want to go so far as to boil a barrel in distilled water to get it.

Probably more of a dark chocolate because it’s smooth with all the fuzzy rust and scale carded off. Of course the oil will darken it like a stain would on wood. I also buffed in the oil with a hunk of denim.

When you get tired of its perfect lines. elegant balance, superb craftsmanship; when some other siren's song fills your ears; send her to me and I will hold her dear.

ADK Bigfoot

Back