• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

L. Day matchlock does the job

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canute Rex

40 Cal.
Reaction score
About a month ago I picked up a 54 cal smoothbore matchlock from Leonard Day in Westhampton Mass. What a shooter! A friend of mine has one of his 62 cal matchlocks, but I found that to be a little light in the muzzle, so I opted for one gauge down. It hangs on target beautifully.

Went to that friend's house right from Mr. Day's and put my first four shots in a 3" circle at 25 yards offhand. Right out of the box, no load development. (70 gr 3F, .430 ball, .010" patch) That never happens. In fact, that's what my friend said when the fourth shot went home. Then he tried it and nicked the 3" circle at 9 o'clock.

Last Sunday I went to a shoot up in northern VT (Derby Line - nice folks up there) and competed with it. I hit all the novelty targets, including shooting a marble out of a cardboard square and splitting the ball on an axe. I did less well on the paper targets. I have to work on keeping a consistent sight picture. I started out strong and then began to fall apart. :doh: Still, as long as I did my job the gun did its job.

Anyway, I won the smoothbore category. A bunch of people wanted to try out the matchlock afterward and I obliged them. A number of them were able to hit a turkey head target at 25 yards, first try. I'm trying to recruit more people into the ranks of the hemp burners.

Kudos to Leonard Day for making a matchlock that shoots like a laser beam. Nice looking and a comfortable shooter, too.

Canute, thats outstanding! :) It's really great to get an accurate gun. Most people have no idea how accurate a smoothbore matchlock can be. :shocked2: A quality builder can make the difference, but it sounds like you're a good shooter, too. It's harder to shoot with that smoke in your eyes, but there just ain't nothing like a hemp burner. Now if Arkansas' distinguished leadership would allow matchlocks for hunting, there would be more dead critters and a few more happy campers. Keep smoking that Hemp!(the right way, ha!) Tree. :thumbsup:

If anyone can give me a clue as to the magic code to post photos here from Flickr, I will happily do so. I have tried 20 different options of links, embedded links, HTML, BBCode, you name it. They all tend to show up like this:

nEQtHH

A few pics of Leonard Day's work.
14222977599_812e9b8850_o.jpg

14408316722_a569230c4e_o.jpg

Note the tall (1/4") front sight. My friend's caliver has the usual low sight and is afflicted with mirage. This one is up and out of the waver.
14408493154_8249f61ae7_o.jpg

The first four shots in a 3" circle, right out of the box.
14409627195_8545a212c4_o.jpg

The axe and clay pigeon target, awaiting a hail of leaden death.
14429804203_9b63f0287a_o.jpg

Canute:

Very nice! Leonard Day has been very consistent with his good work over the years. :applause:

Gotta love the Matchlock!

Slowmatch Forever!
Telecoeras

ricky said:
That's a fine looking gun and some darn good shooting with her. Congrats. Great looking English styled matchlock. :hatsoff:
I'll second that! Just knew Telecoeras would show up! :thumbsup: If any one knows.... :wink:

Sweet! Last time I saw Leonard (it's been years!) he said he was working on producing a snaphaunce lock. Wonder if he ever did? Didn't even know he did matchlocks! I used to have one of his mid-1600s Dutch trade guns. Great piece. If he's still building, where can one contact him?

Hey Carp,

You can call him at 413-527-0184.

When I was there picking up my matchlock he had a club butt fowler underway and a wheellock lock on the bench. The club butt looked really odd to me but when I shouldered it I understood. It felt just right.

Thanks for all the compliments, folks. It's funny, the day before I was practicing for the shoot and the target looked as if I had thrown a handful of musket balls into a swivel gun and fired blind. I figured I was going to be embarrassed. I need to work on consistency.

Back