• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

L. Bryner #33 percussion. .36cal.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ulp8

Pilgrim
Reaction score
0433A8BF-4908-4FE0-B4A9-C4FA2D7E0248.jpeg
177F9F4B-05B0-4B91-8D17-565CC7828894.jpeg
2770AFCD-EEC8-4E4F-8F05-9F17FF6B9B6B.jpeg
Can anyone help me with information on a gun maker L.Bryner? I recently acquired a .36cal percussion rifle with the name L. Bryner #33 on the top of the barrel. I purchased it in Waynesboro Pa. It may be a Vincent model. Nobody around here seems to know anything about “L. Bryner”.

I’m not getting any replies, Did I post incorrectly?
No, your post is fine. Well known makers are fairly easy to document. The more obscure ones , not so much. I had to research local records in Ohio for information on the maker of an Ohio style half-stock rifle. He was listed in an on line database of Ohio gun makers but there was no information on his body of work. I finally found court records of the probate of his will. He left his shop and the contents to his eldest son to dispose of. The contents were of mixed gun parts, blacksmithing supplies and tools. I suggest you do as much on line searching as possible. Good luck.

Thank you Hawgeye. I will take your advice. I did do a search on L Bryner on this site and got one older hit. He had posted a pic of it and looked quite similar to mine. Can’t find it now.

Thanks again

Thank you Hawgeye. I will take your advice. I did do a search on L Bryner on this site and got one older hit. He had posted a pic of it and looked quite similar to mine. Can’t find it now.

Thanks again
You might post to the Contemporary Long rifle Association site or the Kentucky Rifle Association site for information. Lots of knowledgeable folks there.

I’m not getting any replies, Did I post incorrectly?
As Hawgeye says, finding information about gunsmiths isn't easy. There were thousands of them in all parts of the nation, many of them making a few guns for their local areas and we may never know about them.

I did look thru the lists of gunsmiths in the two volumes of " GUNMAKERS of ILLINOIS" for L Bryner without finding any listing of him. He didn't show up in any of my other books on gunsmiths either.

Based on the back-action style of lock on the gun I would say it was made in the 1840-1860 time period.

I'm going to move this topic to the Firearms Identification section. That is the place where we discuss guns that were made up to 1865.

Latest posts

Back