• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kowa scope a-peel.........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's interesting to see another shooter with a high-priced Kowa spotting scope with the 'stickies'. The rubbery finish on this nigh-on $2000 scope had first gone sticky, and then peeled off. My own 80mm Kowa scope - a then top-of-the-line version with fluorite glass and an eye-watering price at the time of purchase began to get sticky after a couple of years use - INSIDE the Kowa protective cover. Thinking it might just be 'sweating' I left it off, in the hope that it might 'heal' itself.

Nope.

In frustration I sent it back to the UK agents a for a check-up and to my amazement, when it was returned the body had been wrapped in Glad-wrap kitchen-type stuff.

Hyper unimpressed, me.

1630335041340.png

Last edited:
I have a 2011 PU and the center of the steering wheel got sticky.

Out of frustration and irritation I got out the bottle of ArmorAll and sprayed and wiped it off. The sticky is gone after 2 applications, you might give that a try and see what it does for you.

what rifle is that in the photo. Resembles a Wesson but lacks the 'notched' back on the rear of the frame?
beautiful target rifle!! just curious and would love to to see the innards of the action.

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

what rifle is that in the photo. Resembles a Wesson but lacks the 'notched' back on the rear of the frame?
beautiful target rifle!! just curious and would love to to see the innards of the action.

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Sorry, I can't help you there. It's taken from the MLRA Creedmoor shoot a few years back.

Judging by the height of the rear sight, y'all are reaching out there a bit! :thumb:

RM

Caption says 800 yards, but can be 1000 yards too. Here in UK the MLAGB regularly shoot at the Stickledown Range, Bisley, at 1200 yards - of course, that was also the distance of the original Creedmoor targets...common these days, also.

The previous generation Kowas with metal bodies didn't suffer from what you're describing. Their glass is excellent, but I'm not a fan of the plastic/polycarbonate/composite whatever their new bodies are made from. The 25x LER and 27x LER eye pieces were outstanding for anyone who wore glasses.

Caption says 800 yards, but can be 1000 yards too. Here in UK the MLAGB regularly shoot at the Stickledown Range, Bisley, at 1200 yards - of course, that was also the distance of the original Creedmoor targets...common these days, also.

Heck yeah! That's impressive!

Shot Competition in the CORPS and High Power Service Rifle for a while and even a touch of Palma before the eyes went. Doing it with a front stuffer must provide a bit of satisfaction!

RM

That rifle is a Ferris, made by the guy in the picture shooting it. Lee Shaver out of MO. I dont see that they are offered on his web site anymore. I do know that he still makes them.

Ferris if memory serves me correctly was an American gun builder and built at least one long range ML.

Lee is the new Capitan of the USA long range ML team.

Fleener

Ive had a few different items of varying value with a type of rubberized outer surface develop the "sticky" texture. Ive just excepted the fact of the humid climate Im in , East Texas. Even stored inside Ive found these items (with a few years age) doing this. I think it is just the quality of "rubber" used starts deteriorating/ breaking down.

Grone. I've just checked on a pair of Bushnell compact binoculators we keep in the back door of the family car, and stap me if they aren't gone all sticky, just like my $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ scope.

Mrs tac suggested wiping them over with talcum powder, but that seems a mite drastic to me. What's the fix? Seeing as how the principal importers of the Kowa scopes doesn't seem to have a clue, that is.

The previous generation Kowas with metal bodies didn't suffer from what you're describing. Their glass is excellent, but I'm not a fan of the plastic/polycarbonate/composite whatever their new bodies are made from. The 25x LER and 27x LER eye pieces were outstanding for anyone who wore glasses.

Mine was bought at great expense in 2001. It came with the x20-60 zooming eyepiece and a x30 WA eyepiece. That gets used on the range, and the zoomer gets used for the birdies.

Talcum powder will give a snow like appearance.

Try ArmorAll or what you use on the interior of your car to keep the dash and plastic nice and shiny, worked on my sticky steering wheel.

Deet in bug spray will do this to rubber/plastic. You use any bug spray?

FLeener

Deet in bug spray will do this to rubber/plastic. You use any bug spray? FLeener

Nope, we don't seem to have bugs like you guys do - we are way too far North, I guess. Well, let me amend that. The Scots get midges, but they are WAaaaaaay up there, and besides, they need the company.

Well, folks, I've just had a latter back from Kowa in Germany - the italics are mine, BTW....

Dear Tac,

thank you for contact Kowa.

We can offer a complete cleaning of all sticky body parts.
The scope might look like the attached one.
Please note that we don’t have any spare parts for this old scope anymore. If the scope is damaged, we might not be able to repair it.
Also note, that this is only a cosmetic work and has no influence on the optical quality and we cannot give any warranty on this cleaning.
The price for it would be around 230-270 GBP +Tax and freight charge.

If you want so send it, we can arrange a pick-up with FedEx.

Another possibility would be:
You can try to cover the scope with self-adhesive tape which photographers / hunters use to “hide” their optics instead.
This is of course the cheapest solution.
These tape should be able to buy on Amazon.

If you have any questions please do not hestitate to contact us.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Monika Loll

Service Administrator

Well, Monika, I think I'll stick with the baby powder for now, at least, until my $2000 scope disintegrates into a pile of dust.

State side we have the same issue with the old 821 with the outer coating getting sticky and coming off. Some scopes returned to Kowa were in turn sent to kowa in Japan refurbished and returned looking brand new.

Back