• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kootenai River Traders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SgtErv

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I had the pleasure of ordering and receiving some eastern center seam mocassins from Mark Morain. He walked me through getting the foot tracing patiently and professionally.

I had orginally called him for leggings. In a roundabout way he mentioned that Mocs were harder to make on the first go around than leggings, and that I could save some $ by doing them on my own. He was right.

The mocassins I received were expertly crafted. He told me to make sure they fit properly and, if not, he'd make it right. They did. He also threw in a little bag just because.

Crazy good experience with him. You pay a little more perhaps but you get what you pay for.

He can be reached at [email protected] or 406-293-8239.

My only critique is that he doesn't have a catalog of any kind. However, give him a call or email and he'll square you away with about anything you need

Next time, make them yourself. Get some good elk splits and have at it. Mocs are stupid easy to make as are leggings. Making several pairs as we speak. :)

However, I've heard very good things about him. :thumbsup:

That's the plan. It's good I have a finished example done properly, and it looked more complicated than it may actually be.

Got some outstanding footwear to suit me while I practice

SgtErv said:
My only critique is that he doesn't have a catalog of any kind. However, give him a call or email and he'll square you away with about anything you need
He has a very nice tri-fold color brochure with examples of items made. He and his wife make excellent high-quality items that are HC & PC.

The e-mail address is: [email protected]

That's good to know. I suppose I could have asked him for one but I'd heard only good about his work and knew the Mocs were pretty simple.

Thanks. He was a pleasure to deal with

SgtErv said:
It's good I have a finished example done properly, and it looked more complicated than it may actually be.
:photoSmile:

Spence

Looking more complicated referred to my examining patterns for their making. These don't look as much so, at all, and I figure I can fashion my own next time.

Note - These are dirtied up after a few trips in the woods and the insoles are added.

Looks good sir! Exactly how I make my mocs, however I wear center seam pucker toe mocs.

Leggings off to the side look great as well. I typically do a double running stitch or whipped running stitch, also like a saddle stitch. I sew down once, and back track up making the stitch work look something like this:

------

Yours: - - - - - -

If that makes any sense at all... lol You'll have no issues fashioning your own. Looks good! :thumbsup:

That makes sense, actually. I may add another stitch but thought the longer ones might hold up better because the skins aren't perforated as much. Time will tell. (Added finished photos to my post over in the Craftsman)

I am very, very pleased with Mark's mocassins. They are very nice.

Small, even stitches are stronger than longer stitches as it spreads the stress more evenly. The leather is far more wear-resistant than the thread.

Absolutely, I even double my linen thread and wax it as well. I usually wear my leggings down before breaking a stitch, wool and leather alike. I would certainly advise running another stitch, from bending, squatting, running and general wear you'll find were the weak points are. :thumbsup:

Learn something all the time here. I did wax the thread quite a bit while sewing them. I've only worn them in the woods a couple of times thus far.

I know Mark's Mocs are way tougher than my leggings though haha :thumbsup:

Keep in mind mocs were considered a consumable. Not your typical footwear but IMO the absolute most comfortable thing besides being barefoot. Also extremely quite when moving and stalking.

Many natives would decorate the flaps and upon constructing a new pair they would cut those flaps off the old pair, then sew them to the new ones (I do as well). I also always have a new pair within my gear, it's honestly easy to wear them out in a few weeks time or less depending on your environment. That's why a sewing kit is a must for needed repairs to keep them going.

Another thing, you'll never completely waterproof mocs... not something they are designed to be. However you can apply the sprays and such to help keep your feet dry longer in them if your desire. Personally I don't worry about it, waterproofing can add to your drying time. That's were the spare pair comes into play back at camp! :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back