• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kobas - Kielbasa - A 150 Year old Farmers recipe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griz44Mag

70 Cal.
Reaction score
This recipe came from a 4th generation Farmer who has been handed down this family recipe from his Great Grandfather.
This was and still is a sausage made for sale by this 150 year old farming family.
The recipe is for 100# of sausage - modify accordingly for your batch size and personal taste.
I just made my 3rd batch of this basic but delicious sausage.
I use the recipe as is with the exception of adding some aleppo flakes and ground red hot pepper - to suit my need for heat. The original recipe was written on the smokehouse wall. A copy was made during the war (did not say which one, but the ledger sheet seems late enough to be the second one.)
It is now framed and hangs in the farm house. The framed copy does not mention majorum as it was stated as not being available during the war.
I have added that back into my rendition as it was in the original.
This is a picture of the framed recipe that hangs in the farmhouse.
WORD OF WARNING - The use of nitrate cures is something to be done very carefully. Use according to the instructions on the product you purchase. Use only #1 Cure.
It is a USDA law that all sausages made in the USA for sale have a curing salt used to assure product safety.
For cooking (smoking) I hang sausages in open air until cases are dry (about 2 hours)
Place in smoker at 120 degrees for 1 hour. Raise temp by 20 degrees per half hour until you reach 140 - then start smoking to taste. (I smoke mine for 2-3 hours)
Then elevate temp to 175-180 until internal temp reaches 151-152. Remove and rapid cool to set the sausage and prevent overcooking. (I use a water mist on a rack.)
Let the sausage hang for 2-3 hours to bloom.
This is my before and after - finished batch from yesterday.
20210406_102929.jpg
Raw
20210406_222455.jpg
Smoked and bloomed.
20210103_225806_HDR.jpg
The Recipe
Feel free to contact me if you want some help stepping through sausage making. It can be a bit intimidating but is a heck of a lot of fun and tastier than anything you can buy.

I need to check out this section more often.
That's a good looking recipe. I use a lot more mustard seed, and have used marjoram many times in sausage.
I never use Mortons tender quick, had a bad experience with it. Instacure #1 is my favorite.

One thing I learned the hard way is to make a 5lb batch the first time I try a new recipe. Everyone has different taste buds. I made 50lbs one time of a guy's recipe who swore by it. I swore AT him after cooking a batch. I'm sure the coyotes loved it.

Latest posts

Back