• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Knuckle buster

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the nipples from The Track of the Wolf. They are supposed to be for CCI #11. I tried both CCI magnums and Winchester magnums, both #11 caps. I was cleaning the revolver last night and I took the grips off and was looking at the main spring and the thought occurred to me that maybe it was weak. How do you add more tension? Is it the small screw in the front grip frame? The head of the screw seems to be flush with the frame already. I've heard it said, a picture is worth a thousand words.

View attachment 95960

Just crank that screw in a turn or so? Thanks in advance. I've never had to adjust the mainspring on any revolver before. Years ago I had a Colt 1860 and a Remington Brass frame but they always fired first time. I guess this old dog just learned something new. :thumb:

Jim
You are correct--it is the screw on the front strap, which butts up against the mainspring. I cranked mine down to where the top of the screw was just below level with the screw opening. I've heard from more experienced people that they crank it as far as it will go, and the amount I screwed it in was pretty close to that. When I finished, I could definitely feel the difference.

By the way, while at the range today with a modern revolver, I got to talking with a pretty credible guy (a firearms manufacturer) who mentioned that original revolvers were designed so that the pinky was below the grip. It had to do with the pointability of the weapon and rather than being a design flaw, it was a feature. The grip was supposed to role back in the hand under recoil, and the pinky would help seat it back forward. So, if we are curling the pinky under the grip, we are shooting properly.

You are probably holding it too high, if your pinky finger is on the grip. try sliding your hold back, it should work. Remington is different than the Colt on the grip, not friendly if you do not hold it correctly.

You're telling me......I was reading on the Cimarron webpage and they said that the company prides itself on authenticity. They sent an authentic 1858 Remington, among other firearms, to Uberti and Pietta and they copied it religiously. I've been told on here, and I now agree, the average individual was somewhat physically smaller back then and their hands fit the grips much better. I have relatively large hands and if my pinky is on the grip, my middle finger is firmly wedged between the grip frame and the trigger guard. A hot load causes an immediate response! I am trying to get used to having my pinky finger below the grip, it feels like I don't have a good hold on the revolver. By the way TrapperDude, I tightened the mainspring and so far, no more duds.

Thanks to all who have helped me get used to this revolver. I love it, it's beautiful and it shoots pretty darned good.

Just keep practicing that hold and after a while it will feel natural. A old Sheriff taught that hold to me. He picked up extra money checking IDs at a local hangout and would call me over and have me check out all the revolvers he would carry.

By the way TrapperDude, I tightened the mainspring and so far, no more duds.

Thanks to all who have helped me get used to this revolver. I love it, it's beautiful and it shoots pretty darned good.
Glad to hear that it's working out like it should. First-strike destinations make it a much more enjoyable experience.

Bit of a problem. I adjusted the mainspring screw a bit too much a couple days later at the range, and the top of the spring "over-centered" to the opposite side of where it should be. I needed to remove the cylinder as it had 5 loaded, capped holes and the hammer all the way in the cocked position, I couldn't get it to move, and the was NO way I was going to transport it in that condition. I backed the adjustment screw all the way out, then I was able to get the cylinder out, carefully, and I was able to get the top of the spring back where it belongs allowing me to return the hammer to the position where it should be. This was with a 20gr. FFFG load so I doubt it was too hot a load. I'm going to take it by a gunsmith and show him what happened and he can hopefully advise me how to make sure it won't happen again. BTW, I readjusted the mainspring screw, not too far in, after getting home and cleaning everything and everything seems to function properly. So, I would advise anyone making adjustments to the mainspring, don't get over rambunctious and mess things up like I did.

Bit of a problem. I adjusted the mainspring screw a bit too much a couple days later at the range, and the top of the spring "over-centered" to the opposite side of where it should be. I needed to remove the cylinder as it had 5 loaded, capped holes and the hammer all the way in the cocked position, I couldn't get it to move, and the was NO way I was going to transport it in that condition. I backed the adjustment screw all the way out, then I was able to get the cylinder out, carefully, and I was able to get the top of the spring back where it belongs allowing me to return the hammer to the position where it should be. This was with a 20gr. FFFG load so I doubt it was too hot a load. I'm going to take it by a gunsmith and show him what happened and he can hopefully advise me how to make sure it won't happen again. BTW, I readjusted the mainspring screw, not too far in, after getting home and cleaning everything and everything seems to function properly. So, I would advise anyone making adjustments to the mainspring, don't get over rambunctious and mess things up like I did.
I've never cranked it down hard enough for that to happen, so it could be that there is such a thing as tightening it too much. You might be able to save the time and expense of a gunsmith trip and just tighten a bit less than you did before. Wait until you find that there is no way to tighten it enough to get consistently reliable ignition before taking to the gunsmith. You might be good to go as you are now.

I've never cranked it down hard enough for that to happen, so it could be that there is such a thing as tightening it too much. You might be able to save the time and expense of a gunsmith trip and just tighten a bit less than you did before. Wait until you find that there is no way to tighten it enough to get consistently reliable ignition before taking to the gunsmith. You might be good to go as you are now.

Thanks TrapperDude. I am still weighing taking it to the gunsmith, it could be expensive. Another trip to the range should tell the story if I messed something up that needs to be repaired. I have to admit it sure ruined my day. My first thought was 45 to 45 shots fired and I broke it? 😵

Back