• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Knives?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm tracking down a bag at the moment and would also like to have an appropriate knife for hunting to go with it.

I'm thinking of either an 18th french trader/trapper "coureur de bois" or maybe long hunter style.

I had considered Jeff White, haven't heard too much about his knives though.

Any suggestions of makers?

Last edited:
I carry 3 knives. One 3.5 inch blade with slight drop point very little heel.
One 5 inch same but good bit of heel.
One large, Bowie like.
Not really up on makers and brands. I do look for German made and Damascus.
Sharpen then rub wax on blade. Wax protects from corrosion and keeps edge sharp. Easy clean up after use.

I've heard Mr. White's knives are excellent as cutlery and they are very reasonably priced. However, I think the names applied to some of them may be rather arbitrary. By that, I mean that his French trade knife is not a copy of an original French knife, and his English knife is the same as his French one, except it has a flat rather than rounded butt. It isn't a copy of any historical knife I know of. Sort of like comparing a T/C Hawken to an original product from the Hawken shop in St. Louis. The T/C is a fine rifle, but it is not the same as an original Hawken.

I've never heard anything negative about the quality of the Jeff White knives, and I'm sure one of his would make a fine and functional choice. However, if authenticity is important to you, it would be a good idea to research it some and determine exactly what you want. And save up some more money. The authentic reproductions will likely be custom jobs that will cost you $125 - $250, and worth every penny.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I appreciate the feedback @Notchy Bob

It is the style more than the reproductions that I'm going for, even if it is a little loose. I'm not in a position to be spending $300-400 on a knife.

I'm never going to be a re-eanactor, I like hunting by myself or occasionslly with a couple of mates out in the bush.
To me having bits and pieces reminiscent of bygone eras adds flavour to the actual experience of hunting. To me the act of trapping, hunting, exploring and camping out in the same manner as those of the 18th century is the re-enactment, not so much the shape of the knife or the inlays on a gun.

I know some will disagree, you've got the "stitch counters" that will have everything exactly as it were in terms of look but that may drive back to their motel, have a shower, order food and watch TV in bed before needing to get dressed back into their pc clothes for an event. Power to them if that's what they like, but I think the blood on your knife, the cold wind cutting through you, the sound of a birds alarm call or the snapping of a sticlk while out hunting and a bare bones meal cooked with freshly shot venison over a fire is about the best way to put yourself in the shoes of our ancestors.

I'm tracking down a bag at the moment and would also like to have an appropriate knife for hunting to go with it.

I'm thinking of either an 18th french trader/trapper "coureur de bois" or maybe long hunter style.

I had considered Jeff White, haven't heard too much about his knives though.

Any suggestions of makers?
Old Dominion Forge, Kyle Willyard. Jeff White knives are good quality although nowhere near PC.

Old Dominion Forge, Kyle Willyard. Jeff White knives are good quality although nowhere near PC.
I truly appreciate the suggestion but as I have noted later in the thread I'm not in a position to be paying that type of money. An average knife of Kyles going for $350 is $500 my money and that's before international shipping.

A jeff white knife is going to be $150-200 shipped for me. Not that it matters, I've tried contacting applecart creations who seem to be the only stockists of JW knives multiple times and have received no reply.

@Bushfire

I did a little searching and found a variety of Jeff White knives in stock and for sale on Etsy, through "The BezalelCollective," whatever that is. I don't know how to post a link with the device I am using right now, but will try to do that later when I get on the desktop computer, if needed.

I think most of the sellers on Etsy ship internationally.

Good luck in your quest!

Notchy Bob

Jeff White has had health issues,so if you see any new White knives for sale,more than likely they are built by people that used to work for him. If you have to pay that much to get a White knife,you would be better off finding someone in country to make you one.Used to buy Jeff's knives for 30-40 bucks,big bang for the buck!

Jeff White has had health issues,so if you see any new White knives for sale,more than likely they are built by people that used to work for him. If you have to pay that much to get a White knife,you would be better off finding someone in country to make you one.Used to buy Jeff's knives for 30-40 bucks,big bang for the buck!
Unfortunately no, to buy a custom knife here you're looking at $5-600 easily.

I was at a lost trades fair recently and wanted to buy a new axe. Blacksmith forged tomahawk heads (no handles) were running at around $400.

Everything in Australia is dear, if only our wages made up for it 🙄

I got the blade from Mr. @Runewolf1973 Mr. @Notchy Bob provided the Indian Rose wood. So, maybe that’s an option for you. Just a thought.

RM

Attachments

• 4815002E-FF63-44DB-8A04-6FB7AA8252BE.jpeg
    4815002E-FF63-44DB-8A04-6FB7AA8252BE.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • E24199AE-9260-454F-8C4D-BAFD1557DAC1.jpeg
    E24199AE-9260-454F-8C4D-BAFD1557DAC1.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Back