Quantcast

Knives with suspenders?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

teakmtn

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Why not just wear a dang belt? I do 1825-1840 Rocky Mountain trapper. I wear braintan drop front breaches with a single suspender, with braintan leggings and use a belt to hold up my leggings. you could put a sheath there. However, like someone said, you should have a belt or sash around you coat and your sheath will be there.

Dean2

45 Cal.
Reaction score
What I normally wear are broadfall trousers with suspenders, how would I wear a knife with that? I've heard and am pretty sure belts weren't worn with suspenders. I've thought about wearing a neckknife, but I dont really care for them.
You all are the ones to ask, thanks.
I presume your suspenders are the correct button attach type but this will work with clip on suspenders too.. Attach your sheath to one of the front leather Ys that attach to the buttons. Lead or rear button depending on which position you prefer. All you have to do is make your sheath with the correct loop for a vertical attachment to the suspenders.

Reaction score
I presume your suspenders are the correct button attach type but this will work with clip on suspenders too.. Attach your sheath to one of the front leather Ys that attach to the buttons. Lead or rear button depending on which position you prefer. All you have to do is make your sheath with the correct loop for a vertical attachment to the suspenders.
Yep your right, the button X back kind.
I believe what your discribing is the same mode of carry for knives as Grizzly Adams wore on the show.
NWT Woodsman

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
A ‘Squaw’ sheath, stuffed in you trouser waist band, tied to your suspenders, if it’s in your way sitting you can flip it out and it’s still handy stuff in back in your waist band when walking. Only time it’s free and you have to mind your self is when you have your morning constitutional.{ATTACH=full]20059[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Dean2

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Yep your right, the button X back kind.
I believe what your discribing is the same mode of carry for knives as Grizzly Adams wore on the show.
NWT Woodsman
No idea who Grizzly Adams is but that style of knife wear is very common up here. Most guys that wear suspenders don't wear a belt and if it isn't a folder you can put in your [pocket you have to hang the knife somewhere handy. Standard style belt sheaths are easily adapted to this style of carry with a wide-ish Leather thong that has a vertical slit to run the suspender through and then tied or sewn permanently to the regular belt loop. Some guys also cut a vertical slit in the top of the belt loop and run the suspender leg through that before putting it on the button if they want the knife to ride higher.

Dean2

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well colour me impressed. A 45 year old T.V. show and some of you guys can remember how he dressed and carried his knife. I thought I had a good memory but I would never remember that, even if I had seen the show.

P.S. I just got done watching part of the attached clip, in this one looks like he has a belt that the knife is attached to but have no doubt other shows might be different.

Last edited:

Tb54

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hippys wet dream, but I loved that show back then. Think about that scene with Adams on the edge of a cliff, standing between the cliff and Ben, holding his rifle balanced in his hand, frequently when I’m muzzelloading.

rustyh

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My problem is I have no arse and maybe a bit too much belly. If I wear a belt or sash around a shirt or coat without belt loops to hold it there it ends up on the ground in about ten steps. I've thought about hooking some suspenders to my belt to hold it up....

ugly old guy

40 Cal
Reaction score
Tie sheath to suspenders?
Wear sheath inside waist band?
Sew a sheath inside strong side boot?
Wear sheath in sock? (as a Sgian Dubh is when you have a kilt on.)
Use a baldric with appropriate sheath?
Attach the sheath to your possibles bag or haversack?

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Back in my golden buckskin brigade times I made and used lots of belt bags. Over a blanket coat you can hang your weight off your belt and it will stay there. I’ve worn a great kilt and a match coat and likewise everything stays in place. But....
more then a pound or two is a pia even before I developed oltimers disease.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
WHATEVER ONE DOES.....DON'T DO THIS when it comes to knives that you are wearing.....,

A PERFECT EXAMPLE of what happens when those making the show KNOW NOTHING beyond the knives in their kitchen drawers (imho-hbc)

A great opportunity for Netflix to have an epic series, it died after two seasons...,

MOMOA FRONTIER.JPG

LD

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
WHATEVER ONE DOES.....DON'T DO THIS when it comes to knives that you are wearing.....,

A PERFECT EXAMPLE of what happens when those making the show KNOW NOTHING beyond the knives in their kitchen drawers (imho-hbc)

A great opportunity for Netflix to have an epic series, it died after two seasons...,

View attachment 58813

LD
Did you hear ol’Tom died?
No what happen?
Knife wound in his belly
Wow, I never thought anyone could stick Ol’Tom
No one stuck him, he just bent over the fire to get a coal to light his pipe