Knives with suspenders?

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by NW Territory Woodsman, Apr 22, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Apr 22, 2019 #1

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

36 Cl.

What I normally wear are broadfall trousers with suspenders, how would I wear a knife with that? I've heard and am pretty sure belts weren't worn with suspenders. I've thought about wearing a neckknife, but I dont really care for them.
    You all are the ones to ask, thanks.

2. Apr 22, 2019 #2

PegLegNC

PegLegNC

PegLegNC

Pilgrim

Have you thought about using a wrap around sash? That's what I did back when I could get around in the woods. If I kept my sash fairly snug I didn't have any issues with it slipping around.

3. Apr 23, 2019 #3

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

36 Cl.

Yea, I've thought about and done that, the thing is those HC trousers are so high, and its kind of akward.
    I have Emailed Jas Townsends, (were I got the pants and suspenders) and they told me about a knife pocket on the suspenders. I have no idea what a knife pocket is, a sheath maybe?

4. Apr 23, 2019 #4

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Belts were mostly worn at this time to hang stuff from. Many broad falls still had a gusset and small belt in the back to tighten up the waist and made it tight enough to stuff a knife in to. I have a wang tied on to my sheaths that alowes it to be tied where ever handy, like on your shooting bag strap. Most men had some sort of vest and you could place it inside your vest. If I were to bet, unless a man was going in to the woods, 90% of the time he had a folding knife in his pocket.

NW Territory Woodsman likes this.
  5. Apr 23, 2019 #5

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

What time period are we talking about here? It makes a difference regarding what one wears over the shirt and suspenders and thus what is visible, and what is available to work with or hang a sheath from. What manner of knife do you need to carry, and when, under what circumstances?
    If walking about in clothes meant for town or civilized settlements a folding knife in the pocket of one's waistcoat might be the most one would carry. Wrap your hunting shirt on over your waistcoat and you can tuck a sheath knife into the belt or sash you use to hold that closed.

Another alternative is a sheath made to mount to one's shot pouch, either from the strap or on the back panel of the bag. I made a sheath with a short extension of leather coming up from the back (picture a fixed blade knife sheath with a fold over belt loop, cut the belt loop so when it unfolds you have about 3 inches of it sticking up past the end of the knife handle) and cut a horizontal belt slot in it so my shot pouch strap goes through it and it hangs from the back of the bag. I'll try to get a picture and post it when I get home from work.

6. Apr 23, 2019 #6

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

All good options...
    You can wear a knife in your boot, in your waistband, in the "pit" of your waistcoat, IF you have a sheath with a hook like some of the pistols do.
    You could also have an open topped pocket sewn inside your waistcoat to hold a sheathed knife.
    Antique BOOT KNIFE with clip.jpg

LD

7. Apr 23, 2019 #7

Treestalker

Treestalker

Treestalker

45 Cal. MLF Supporter

Back in the day a man with suspenders and a belt was known as a 'safety man'. We had a couple of men like that in the Settlement when I was a kid. My dad explained the vernacular of the peasantry to me, ha!

Shot deer likes this.
  8. Apr 23, 2019 #8

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

36 Cl.

I'm still working on it, but mainly 1830s mountain man. My needs would just be a camp knife something like this https://www.crazycrow.com/mountain-...ake-brand-sheffield-butcher-knife-with-sheath
    As I don't have a waistcoat yet, I don't have the option of carrying there, and neither is the 18th centry caped woodman frock correct for a rocky mountain fur trader of the 1830s, as I understand from reading here. Eventually I might make a buckskin frock, and then hang the knife off of the belt/sash over that. For now I'll just be carrying a flip knife I guess. And eventually I'm going to make a seath on my possibles bag.

Shot deer likes this.
  9. Apr 23, 2019 #9

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

A Delaware trapper is shown by Miller wearing a rifelmans shirt in the mountains.
    Till you get a buckskin coat a cloth working mans coat would be a good option. This was a common worn bit of clothing that served purpose of vest and coat. Could be made from wool for cool days or lighter cloth for warmer. Seen from F&I to WTBS with some style changers. All about to the trousers waist in length, no collar and single breasted early collar and single or double breasted later. A sheath can fit in to an inner pocket easily in this style.

10. Apr 23, 2019 #10

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

36 Cl.

Would you know the name of that painting with the Deleware trapper?

11. Apr 23, 2019 #11

kansas_volunteer

kansas_volunteer

kansas_volunteer

45 Cal.

Do a search for suspender holster. At least one old western lawman prferred them. That might help you. A knife pocket on the suspenders is just a pocket the whole knife and sheath can fit into.

12. Apr 23, 2019 #12

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

36 Cl.

Thank you k volunteer for clearing that up for me.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  13. Apr 23, 2019 #13

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

I moved some years ago due to wife’s health to the ‘big city’ had to down size my library.
    I will discribe the painting in hopes some one recognizes this and post the name.
    A Delaware is sitting. We are looking at his right side. He has a caped riflemans shirt on sans belt. The shirt is black and open, and pushed back with his right arm. He has black leggings stoping mid thigh. So his upper thigh is exposed. In his left hand he has a long reed stemmed pipe. The pipes in the air and he is looking at the painter. I think it is Miller but can’t find in on his page, it may have been Catlin. Will continue to look for it.

14. Apr 23, 2019 #14

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

36 Cl.

Nyckname likes this.
  15. Apr 23, 2019 #15

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

That’s the one, oldtimers getting me I was thinking whole out fit was black, looks like just his shirt. And I was thinking he was holding the pipe.... oh well what were we talking about again? :cool:

16. May 21, 2019 #16

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

36 Cl.

Loyalist Dave, would you know where one would be able to find a knife and sheath with the clip on back, like the picture you posted, google s failing me.

17. May 21, 2019 #17

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

They are apparently custom made. Some knife makers call them sgian achlais…, some call them armpit knives.
    Taylor knives makes them https://sites.google.com/site/taylorknives/taylor-handmade-knives/american-rifleman-s-knives
    There's a fellow named Glen McClain that makes them too, but again I think they are custom, and I don't have a direct link to Mr. McClain.
    You might be able to have a belt hook for pistol, modified. https://piratefashions.com/products/pirate-pistol-belt-hooks, Or figure out how to attach it to a plate, that you can then install within the sheath for the knife.

LD

18. May 21, 2019 #18

Nyckname

Nyckname

Nyckname

40 Cal

I would check how the spoon handle is attached.

If it's just cut off and sewn into the little pocket, there won't be much pressure to keep it in place, and it may pull free.

Hopefully there's a hole drilled through the tip, with a rivet.

Ideally someone hammered the bowl of the spoon flat, trimmed it straight, and bent it over, like a typical belt clip.

19. May 21, 2019 #19

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

36 Cl.

Thxs LD and Nyckname for the info!

20. May 21, 2019 #20

jackley

jackley

jackley

40 Cal.

Funny I just found this thread I just met a guy that was wearing suspenders. He took an old belt cut it in two and sewed the cut off ends to his suspenders about nipple high and put his knife on that buckled belt and it hung dead center. The belt didn't go around him just sewed to the suspender straps on the front. I'm sure its not PC but I had never seen a knife worn that way.