• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Knives found in father-in-law's cabin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sadly, my father-in-law passed on 2 years ago, and a few months ago we finally made it out to his secluded cabin in the mountains (it took us awhile because the only way out there is a 4x4 or horses and hours on a rocky dirt road).

I found these two knives, and my mother-in-law said I could have them. The longer one appears to be a Western "Baby Shark" from just after WW2, and I don't know anything about the smaller one, but either will probably make a decent patch knife.

IMG_5059.JPG

I'm sorry you lost your father-in-law. He must have been an interesting man. He sure did have a good eye for cutlery. Those are both of twentieth-century manufacture, as you know, but they have been around for a while. I like old steel. It seems to have some intrinsic quality that makes the best cutting, best wearing blades. Those knives have a lot of character, and a lot of life left in them.

Could we see a photo of the other side of each knife? Are there any identifying marks or stamps on the lower blade?

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Both knives appear to be Westerns

The stag handled skinning knife appears to be a Western 539; the wood (or stacked leather) handled knife is their Bowie

Last edited:
we finally made it out to his secluded cabin in the mountains (it took us awhile because the only way out there is a 4x4 or horses and hours on a rocky dirt road). The cabin sounds interesting also!!! But that's a story for another thread

we finally made it out to his secluded cabin in the mountains (it took us awhile because the only way out there is a 4x4 or horses and hours on a rocky dirt road). The cabin sounds interesting also!!! But that's a story for another thread

Yes indeed. I didn't get to know my father-in-law very well, but I know he was a lover of the wilderness. Perhaps I'll share some photos of the "cabin" in another thread.

zneufeld:
My sincerest condolences on the loss of your father in law. Just my $0.02 b ut the antler handled one looks very much like a Schrade "Old Timer" skinning knife. Very popular in the 60's. Not certain about prior to that?
Looking forward to pics. of the cabin.
Again, all just my $0.02. I've been known to be wrong, Ask my wife. She'll verify that. :thumb: :)
God bless:
Two Feathers

Ok, here are a few photos of the cabin I mentioned and the surrounding property. After about a 2 1/2 hour drive on rocky dirt roads, assuming you don't get lost, you arrive at a gate on a ridge.
IMG_4192.JPG

About a mile more down into a wide canyon is the cabin. Just enough space inside for a small desk, countertops, and two bunks. Can't find my photo of the inside at the moment.
IMG_1183.jpg

The place needs work, but my father-in-law's health wasn't good in his later years, and he hadn't been able to keep it up. I hope to make it out there more often to spruce up the place.
IMG_1169.jpg

A stone's throw away is a steep canyon with a pretty river at the bottom.
IMG_4170.JPG

Won't be secluded once rumor gets around he buried bag of 1930's gold coins up there!:)

Ok, here are a few photos of the cabin I mentioned and the surrounding property. After about a 2 1/2 hour drive on rocky dirt roads, assuming you don't get lost, you arrive at a gate on a ridge.
View attachment 100153

About a mile more down into a wide canyon is the cabin. Just enough space inside for a small desk, countertops, and two bunks. Can't find my photo of the inside at the moment.
View attachment 100154

The place needs work, but my father-in-law's health wasn't good in his later years, and he hadn't been able to keep it up. I hope to make it out there more often to spruce up the place.
View attachment 100159

A stone's throw away is a steep canyon with a pretty river at the bottom.
View attachment 100158
Knockout beautiful!

Latest posts

Back