• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

knight plastic shot wads in a bess?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quinnconner

40 Cal.
Reaction score
At the local gun shop over the weekend, I bought a pack of these plastic shot cups to try with fine shot.Have any of you guys tried them?How do they work?

Havven't tried those, but regular shot cups need a card wad between them and the powder. The BP flame will melt the plastic base and sides form blowby and stick it to the barrel's walls without protection.

Shot cups in a bess?

Would that be a .75 caliber sabot? :haha:

I have used Remington Power-Piston wads in my bess before with good results...

juniata jack:
Remember to also use a thin over shot card to hold the pellets in the shot cup until you shoot it...

I suppose if you loaded .69 RB's in them, they'd be sabots.- HA! - With shot, they merely improve patterns a bit.
; Some of the guys wee using 20 bore balls inside the normal shot cups as they are a resonable fit. The only problem, is then you'd be shooting a small smoothbore, losing a lot of the advantage of the big ball. There is a considerable difference in visuals when hitting a moose with a 20 bore ball compared to a .71 or .73 cal ball.

Thank you all.I want to try em with fine shot for small game.I am hoping to get a better patern with them.It is fun to play around with big bore smooth bores.I will soon have my 4 bore blunderbuss ready to shoot.It should be fun to!

If they have the shot buffer on the bottom you will need to cut this off or you could end up with something like a short start. Just cut it off ,load you card or wad depending on which you use then load it down the barrel a little ways ,add shot then seat it, add your over the shot card.
I tried them in my 62 with little benefit. You also might try making them out of paper and split the sides. The deeper you split the sides the wider the pattern. I have found you must at least go 1/2 way or you will end up with a slug at 30 yards. The paper worked better for me , I guess it

Back