• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Knife sheath

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are a few originals from I believe Ken Hamilton's photos or collection maybe. I thought these were in a museum. Ah, they apparently are in museumfurvolkurkunde. Supposedly English cartouche trade knives and sheaths. The sheaths are center seams as I will attempt to show with another photo. See the two on the left.

IMG-1242-2.jpg

museumfurvolkurkunde.jpg

Is that sash tied around the neck or waist? Interesting in that it can serve two purposes at once...belt and knife attachment.

Any idea on time period for those? Are they period? They look aweful new...

Is that sash tied around the neck or waist? Interesting in that it can serve two purposes at once...belt and knife attachment.

Any idea on time period for those? Are they period? They look aweful new...
One source I have found says that they evolved from medieval times, and were popular until the end of the 19th c. Another dates them at 1760's, to 1850's. Yet another dates them as 17th c, and 18th c. I would say PC for 18th c. reenacting. Repros are available from Crazy Crow, Amazon, and a few others. However, as best I can tell, these repros may be heavier/thicker built than the originals, and for around only $40.00, may be of questionable quality.
The period drawings, paintings, I have seen, show common knives in Europe worn around the waist attached to a belt or sash. One I saw was tied to a belt of a workman and hanging a bit loose. Neck knives worn by whites were less than common, except for the French who seemed like that carry. Neck knives are inherently somewhat less than safe, depending on it's position. If not tucked under clothing they swing into the way when bending over. But to each his own.

Last edited:
Back