• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Knife Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike 56

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Green River knife blank i want to put a handle on. I have small pieces of oak and a planer. What do you use for handle rivets and how do you set them. With a punch on a anvil? Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Oak is a poor choice of wood for this project.It is easily split during the riveting operation. Most Ace hardware stores sell rivets. the trick it to buy them the correct length for the width of your handle. That sounds easier than it is. Since you are only doing one knife, You are going to use the top or back surface of a bench vise, or anvil, and a hammer to close the rivet. If the rivet is too short, it will be driven down into the wood, and with oak slabs, splitting the slab is a common result. That is why hickory makes a better choice of wood for slabs. Other woods to avoid include the soft woods, as well as ash, and some of the softer " hard " woods. Fruit tree wood makes excellent handles.

Regardless what others might tell you, oak (ash too) will make a fine handle as long as you don't stress the grain. When applying scales to the blank I epoxy them in place and then drill the proper size holes for the pin stock (usually brass) I am using, usually 3/32 or 1/8 depending on the knife size. Cut the pins a bit long and round one end so it enters the hole without tearing the wood fiber. Also put a very slight bend in the middle of the pin to create tension when in place. After pinning, file the pins flush with the scales and finish shaping the wood. Pin stock can be purchased at most hobby shops, or if you know a welder,brazing rod works just fine. We would like to see the knife when completed if that's OK with you. Good luck with the project.
Bob Gular

Bruce, if you get brazing rod, cut it about 1/8" longer than you need. You can peen it to a dome shape using a ball peen hammer (small one), so as not to split your wood. Start hammering in the center and work your way around to the outer edges. If you heat the rod to a dull glow then plunge it in water before you cut it,and, it will peen a lot easier. Hope this helps, it's the way I do it( maybe not right, but it works :wink: )...Bud

Thank you for the advice you guys are great :bow:. I bought two knifes at the flea market today for 1.50 they both sharpened up nicely. I am going to remove the handles and practice putting new handles on them first before doing my new knife blank.

Mike

Back