• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Knee replacement tomorrow

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot to add the rest of the story and the really important part. I went from not walking to the mailbox because I was uncertain of the outcome (short distance) to days when I'll check mileage and steps on my cell phone and find I've done 5 to 10 miles and not have a bit of pain or soreness. It's amazing how the steps add up when you're outside and busy. I'm so glad to have that ability back!

I had both of mine done 2 years ago. Right knee done then 3 months later the left one done. Most important advice is do what your therapist says to do. Get some vitamin E salve and work your scars. Massage it in and it will help scars heal and softens them up so they dont look so bad.
DL

My 91 year old mother-in-law had her knees done when she was 88 and 89, and us very happy she did. Here she is splitting wood at 90.

20191126_133827.jpg

So far I've escaped intact, but Carol had it done several years ago.She swears these Physical Therapists down here run a torture chamber , and her neice is one of them. But I think most of them know what they're doing but to be on the safe side listen to your doctor as well. Not trying to scare you, you'll do fine. Our prayers are with you.

TKR tomorrow morning
Those that have had the experience please share your journey back to shooting - hunting etc
Thanks
Glenn
I had both knees done in 2012 (3 mos apart) Great results but you must follow the rehab to a T as it will result in great results. I elk & deer hunt in the mountains and also fly fish fivers with no issues!!

TKR tomorrow morning
Those that have had the experience please share your journey back to shooting - hunting etc
Thanks
Glenn
TKR tomorrow morning
Thanks
Glenn
Just do what the doctors and PT people tell you and you will be fine. Wish I had done it much sooner.

I always seem to be the odd one. Left knee replaced three years ago. Fixed the knee but I got what they call a dropped foot out of the deal. Deadened the big nerve outer side of the left leg. I think it was the anesthesiologist. Took about six months before I could pick up the toes of my left foot. Nerve Still isn't right have a band of odd feeling behind and top of my toes on that foot. The replacement and foot problem screwed up my walking gait and causes lower back pain. Still bothersome. Unable to kneel on my left knee. I guess it's better as I can walk without it feeling like someone's driving a spike into my left knee. It ain't perfect but the knee is better than it was.

I had my left Knee replaced by the Air Force. I had no problems but I hated everyone for a month or so. I did the therapy and gradually it got better. Now my right one is acting up and I am seriously debating if I want it done. This time I have to go to the VA. They tell me I need to lose some weight so I know it will be a while. When I had mine done, one poor fool had both knees at the same time. Man the way one made me hurt, I would have gone postal if I had two done at the same time. My stupid doctor just gave me percocets for pain... Problem is I take them for pain pretty regularly so they did squat for my knee. Finally my doctor gave me a high powered pain killer and it became my friend.

I had my left Knee replaced by the Air Force. I had no problems but I hated everyone for a month or so. I did the therapy and gradually it got better. Now my right one is acting up and I am seriously debating if I want it done. This time I have to go to the VA. They tell me I need to lose some weight so I know it will be a while. When I had mine done, one poor fool had both knees at the same time. Man the way one made me hurt, I would have gone postal if I had two done at the same time. My stupid doctor just gave me percocets for pain... Problem is I take them for pain pretty regularly so they did squat for my knee. Finally my doctor gave me a high powered pain killer and it became my friend.
There comes a point where the Drs can't do anything to make you feel better anymore. You put it off and put it off till there are no other options. Tylenol did the trick when things got out of hand but even that doesn't work anymore. Why be laid up for the better part of a year when you can just get it all overwith in one shot and be ready to rock by spring? I hurt both my knees at the same time, why not fix them at the same time? I spent years jumping out of planes, humping giant ruck sacks through the bush. I spent another 10 years framing houses, humping lumber over rough terrain and nailing off floors on my knees for hours on end. I spent another 10 years fixing cars on my feet on a hard concrete floor for 10 hrs a day, six days a week. I also bounced in a club every weekend for three years and had a couple wrestling matches with unruly patrons. The last straw was a serious accident that nearly killed me. I broke EVERYTHING! Neck, back, pelvis, you name it Including my left knee in three places. I spent months in the hospital. I'm no stranger to pain. When I say both my legs have had it, I mean it. When making the decision to have one or both done, the Dr suggested having both would correct some problems developing in my hips from a poor gate and take the bow out of my knees also.
It's not how I want to spend my winter. But I absolutely don't want to spend my summer doing this. I have bucket list that's rediculous. Riding Baja, riding to Nova Scotia, riding the big island in Hawaii. I'd like to be able to take my grand children out with me to do a few things when they're big enough. Like Disney, or six flags or maybe fishing from the rocks on the beach. The way I look at it, this knee thing is only going to cut into MY time as much as I let it, and I ain't giving it much.
Poor Fool
Jan 19, 2021

Done going home to rehab - pain under control - staff at the care center is awesome-catered in food-not sure I want to go home😁
Thats snazzy looking stuff there.
Lol, the thing I was thinking about was if I was going to get a decent breakfast or not before I went home. One of the things I miss most since the pandemic started was going out to breakfast.

I had a complete hip replacement 5 weeks ago, my recovery has been slow, perhaps I expect too much. The bad thing is hip rehab makes my knee's feel like they have been stung by bees. They weren't that troublesome before I got out of shape before and after the surgery, I see knee replacement down the road.

I had a complete hip replacement 5 weeks ago, my recovery has been slow, perhaps I expect too much. The bad thing is hip rehab makes my knee's feel like they have been stung by bees. They weren't that troublesome before I got out of shape before and after the surgery, I see knee replacement down the road.
Hang in there Eric. My dad had a hip done at like 86. He knew he was a gonner if he just laid there so he got up almost as soon as he opened his eyes. He really leaned into the therapy and the hip served him well for the rest of his life.
Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back