• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Knee replacement tomorrow

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
TKR tomorrow morning
Those that have had the experience please share your journey back to shooting - hunting etc
Thanks
Glenn

Just had one completed in June the most important thing is rest and making sure you have a good PT it took a good 6 to 8 weeks before being able to really walk without cane and also be able to pedal my trike, do 5 to 10 miles rides. also I was not on any medication other than Advil. waiting for summer to do other knee. At 75 its worth doing good luck. :thumb:

My wife had both knees done with no trouble. That was about 15yrs. ago. The trick is do the therapy. Hers was at the PT place not a home therapist. I have a friend who can't put his socks on because of a stiff knee. She can easily cross her legs and wash her feet. They rented her a machine that worked her leg up and down electrically . She spent 8hrs. a day 7 days a week on her back with this thing running her leg in and out for the first two weeks after the surgery(she could even nap with it running) in addition to daily therapy for the first week or two and 3 times a week for a month after that.. You could set the degrees of bend on it. I didn't tell her but I added a few more degrees than they said at each angle change. She swears that thing is what gave her the flexibility. I don't think they use it anymore. Some folks around here just got sent home with a list of exercises to do and a home therapist stops in once a week.

Good luck, gabedard! To reiterate all the above, do your therapy whether you feel like it or not. I know some one who said to heck with the therapy and years later they wished they had gone through with it. Let us know how your doing as soon as you can.

My knee replacement gave me my life back. My experience was different than most. I had the flexibility the morning after that they want you to have in 6 weeks, I didn't have pain or swelling, and I was pretty well out of the walker and using a cane before the first week was up. I was very careful though and didn't take any chances and did all the homework the physical therapist and surgery center gave me (very important). My wife had one two years before me and was thrilled with the way mine went until she got chapped that mine was too easy.

I had both knees replaced 14 years ago, both at once. Two weeks of rehab in the hospital then home. Five weeks after surgery I was driving our standard shift car. Never had the pain like before the surgery since. Don't be afraid and follow the docs instruction. GOOD LUCK

You will be in my prayers. I had one done 15 years ago and it still works better than the real one. I ran, water skied, hunted, rode bike many miles until I just got too old [still ride some though].. Polecat

My wife had both knees done with no trouble. That was about 15yrs. ago. The trick is do the therapy. Hers was at the PT place not a home therapist. I have a friend who can't put his socks on because of a stiff knee. She can easily cross her legs and wash her feet. They rented her a machine that worked her leg up and down electrically . She spent 8hrs. a day 7 days a week on her back with this thing running her leg in and out for the first two weeks after the surgery(she could even nap with it running) in addition to daily therapy for the first week or two and 3 times a week for a month after that.. You could set the degrees of bend on it. I didn't tell her but I added a few more degrees than they said at each angle change. She swears that thing is what gave her the flexibility. I don't think they use it anymore. Some folks around here just got sent home with a list of exercises to do and a home therapist stops in once a week.
Continuous passive motion machine - yep Doc. ordered one for me
Yhanks

Continuous passive motion machine - yep Doc. ordered one for me
Yhanks
Lived with one of those machines (even used it while I slept) a few years back for 5-6 weeks after ACL reconstruction and Microfracture procedure. Follow what the doctor and physical therapist instruct you to do. It may hurt a little and seem boring, but you have to do it.

My doctor used a technique where pain medicine is injected into the knee and this gets you going quicker. He also prescribed pain medicine in an IV for me to use when needed. All this worked. The first night found me gripping the overhead bar and bending the new knee by sliding my heel as far as possible. Farther the next time, and so on.
When the PT people came by the next morning they were amazed at how far I could bend it after only one night.
I kept this pace up until my days with them had been accomplished and when they tested the knee I could bend it some 6-9 degrees beyond their target value.. Just work through the pain and keep a positive mind and things will work out good.

I had both knees done the same day about 9 years ago. Recovery was better than I expected. Drove my floor shift pick up to the first checkup meeting with the doctor at 4 weeks. This year I have ridden my bicycle 1,500 miles. I can do most anything that I did before the operations. Slight drawbacks are some pain occasionally and some difficulty going down stairs. But, it's still a lot better than before.

TKR tomorrow morning
Those that have had the experience please share your journey back to shooting - hunting etc
Thanks
Glenn
My wife had this done last year. While her experience was different than others and she had to work thru a lot of pain. Others, piece of cake. What ever your experience is, do the PT religiously. It will be well worth it. I know people that did not do the PT and the results are disappointing. In regards to my wife, It has worked out very well. She is very glad she had it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back