• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Knapping hammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Admittedly I am a bit green when it comes to flintlocks and their peculiarities. My question is on my "tool kit" of brush, pick, screwdriver and knapping hammer. Has anyone actually used it and can you recommend a source of information on how to use it. I assume it is for re-sharpening the flint while still in the jaws.

@Bob McBride and @B P Maniac Shooter use what I call a knapping awl. Its a rod with steps turned or filed to rest on the edge of a flint as the awl is tapped by a knapping hammer. The rod directs the force of the tap to the specific part of the flint where you want to remove a flake of flint. Knapping awls and knapping hammers can be used on a flint held in the jaws of a vise to take strain off the tumbler of your flint lock.

Antler tips or copper rods can be used to pressure flake the flint.

Any method that results in a straight, sharp edge is the proper way to knap a flint.

There are a lot of ways to knap or sharpen the flint in your rifle. I have a small hammer with a brass head and steel handle with a screwdriver end that fits my top jaw screw. With the frizzen open and at half-cock I support the flint with a finger while tapping the edge with the hammer. There may be better ways, but this works for me and requires little skill.

If your using a ferrous tool to knap your flint I recommend using a cloth to cover your priming pan.

I saw a guy on the firing line have a "klatch" and drew his knife to freshen the edge on his flint.

About 3 or 4 strikes with the back of his blade and BOOM! His rifle fired, startling several who weren't shooting that relay.

Thankfully his rifle was pointed down range. This was witnessed by about half a dozen and isn't "urban legend ".
Food for thought.

Admittedly I am a bit green when it comes to flintlocks and their peculiarities. My question is on my "tool kit" of brush, pick, screwdriver and knapping hammer. Has anyone actually used it and can you recommend a source of information on how to use it. I assume it is for re-sharpening the flint while still in the jaws.

I have tried many things to sharpen a flint while it is in the lock. The one I liked least was a little brass hammer as I didn't seem to have very good control over where the strike landed. Same for the back of a knife handle.

If a flint needs touching up for the last shot in a string in a match I use the butt end of my brass pan charger like a hammer. It's there in the pouch, I'll have it out anyway and don't have to scrabble around in the bottom of the pouch. A series of raps across the edge, and then go back the other way. After finishing the string of five shots, either renew the edge properly or replace the flint.

In my view the best device for retouching a flint edge is a hard brass or steel rod with 1/16 wide step filed or turned in it about a half inch back from the end. Set the step on the edge of the flint, angling in from the front, press down firmly, working your way across in little bites. The ones I made had an antler tip as a handle. Then a old timer master gun builder gave me a jewel of a tool- turned from steel, two steps of different widths, and a knob of a handle with knurling on the circumference.

Ditch the knapping hammer, and brush. When it's knap time, you can use the spine of your belt knife and gently flake of bits from a dull flint by lightly tapping the flint. Those knapping hammers are just bashing tools

If you need to wipe out the pan, use a spent cleaning patch, piece of tow, your shirt tail, or any handy rag.

I usually use the back of a knife blade, but this little brass hammer, the head just 1" long, and the nail with a step both work quite well.
knapper2.JPG

nail.jpg

Spence

Using my knapping hammer on the flint is the easiest way I've found to keep the flint sharp. Other than frequently smacking my finger I find it satisfactory.

Using my knapping hammer on the flint is the easiest way I've found to keep the flint sharp. Other than frequently smacking my finger I find it satisfactory.
I can tell you from experience that if you take the time to learn to pressure flake and make a proper tool you will never beat on them with a hammer or use notched nails again.

Here are my two favorite tools for pressure flaking. The upper is a nail for notching arrow points and the lower is pointed copper grounding wire with length adjustment. Handle on upper is moose antler and the lower is Caribou antler.

Attachments

• IMG_2212.JPG
    IMG_2212.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2213.JPG
    IMG_2213.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 69
Back