• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Knapping gun flints

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow thank you so much for the reply Erwan these were my thoughts too I was contemplating buying Abbey du Val Swiss Normandy but it’s a bit run down €200k off a friend . Arcachon we love but too expensive. We come from Courtenay SE of Paris. 1140 via the french Courtenay duke of Devon Maybe I can drop some big lumps of flint off for you or post some chippings as a way of thanks DFDS are encouraging us to cross the channel maybe soon We have had two jabs. Kids 40&46 only one Janna but they still got Colvic on holiday. It was just a 5 day cold. Given all clear Friday. But stay safe it’s not over yet Many thanks Gordon

Don't be put off by the videos of experts like Lord - making gunflints 'correctly' takes a long time to learn. It was a cottage industry, and the segmented blade technique the 19th century knappers used was necessary for efficiency.
BUT anyone can learn to take off flakes that can be shaped by easy techniques, including nipping with pliers, to make a useable gunflint.
If you want to learn better knapping, there are lots of knappers around. For instance, there is a large knap-in at Letchworth State Park in NY in August where you could find people to teach you.

Friday, August 27, 2021 to Sunday, August 29, 2021

2021 STONE TOOL CRAFTSMAN SHOW - NY
Website: Genesee Valley Flint Knappers Association Home Page

The Genesee Valley Flint Knappers Association has been granted approval to hold our 31st Annual Stone Tool Craftsman Show at Letchworth State Park, Mount Morris, New York. IT’S A GO!!! The event will be held August 27, 28 and 29, 2021 at the Highbanks Recreation Area. Additional details will be made available here and on our FaceBook page as they develop. Event Flyer: Flyer
Schedule of Events: Schedule of Events
https://flintknappers.com/events.php

I missed this show last year and am thinking to attend this August. Its a great gathering of very talented knappers and the park is a scenic wonder.

1627215855313.jpeg

Unless you are willing to put in the time and have access to affordable quality stone it is more practical to buy flints made by the experts. If you have a diamond saw you can make cut agates, novaculite, tiger chert and other gunflints. If you are a prepper and can make your own black powder, cast your own round balls, make your own patches and lube, then making gun flints should be on your to learn and do list. I can make an arrow head better than most gunflints and home made bows and arrows are a bit easier than from scratch muzzle loaders. Flea market made in Mexico cheap arrow heads are just that - cheap and poor quality. You will have better luck starting with a large cobble to spall and knock off burins or points to trim into gun flints than to try to whittle out a flint from an arrowhead. Respirators are recommended for those who do a lot of knapping.

Back