• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kit rifle question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a Chambers Christians Spring-Edward Marshall rifle some years ago at a Conner Prairie class. I put 45 hours in at the class over 5 days and another 55 hours to complete the gun. There was a mix of rifles and smooth bores being worked on at the class, and I would say most looked to be about the same difficulty along with one pistol build.

They are definitely more involved than a CVA or T/C kit. A collection of high quality parts you can assemble or customize as you see fit. Take your time and go slow and you will be rewarded with a nice smoke pole.

Just to give you my skill level background. I could build you a stick frame house. Assemble an engine, fix small engines and machines. I can weld and braze a little and have basic wood working skills from wood turning and cabinet making. I do not do wood carving or metal engraving.

It takes time to fit and finish all the parts. Not a weekend project for sure.

Last edited:
What Eric Krewson said! The Kibler Colonial will be heavier than the Kibler SMR. I don't know if he's making them in calibers over .45 but the .45 is always a good choice. Kibler also has a smoothbore fowler in the works that should be available before too terribly long.
3-4 months and will come in 20 and 16 gauge according to Jim

I have one of the Chambers Virginia rifles put together by a custom gunsmith, while I really like the gun I will have to say that LONG barrel does take some getting used to and its fine at the range and open woods (hope he is not short cause that barrel is way up there when loading) but it would not be the best choice for heavy timber. If he shoots mostly at the range it's a fine rifle.
My Grandfather is 6'3" and he doesn't go into the bush or climb stands anymore. He has a nice little log emplacement he sits at with his rifle rested on a nice little deer trail on some pine trees at the edge of a bean field. At his age the deer come to him. He always admired a long gun. Now I got him looking at Kiblers and he is starting to lean to a percussion whitworth... oh well.

Well everyone my grandfather has decided firmly on getting a Whitworth with a 6x Hi-Lux Scope. So I guess he won't be needing a Flintlock kit after all. That being said I guess not only deer but Union Generals have to careful walking through the woods. Thanks for everyone's information and input. Now I find myself looking at the Kibler Rifles.

I have a kibler that a friend helped me build. The kibler kits are absolutely fantastic. Jim kibler also has a series of YouTube videos that walk you through step by step on assembly. 90% of the hard work is done. You can even assemble it your kitchen table if necessary . There are some tools you will want , and a few you will definitely need. But cost is not that great. You’ll def want a set of decent chisels, and some good files for draw filing the barrel. You will also need a vise of some sort. Mine is on a cast iron pedestal …. The vise is crucial for even file cork and to have a third hand. All pin holes, lugs and sights are already milled/ drilled. Will need to fo basic Inletting of barrel tang and lock… as well as other parts . Hardest part for me was picking a stain lol. But these are very high quality kits that are way above anything else at that price range. If I were ur dad I’d consider getting .58 cal in the colonial. It will be a lighter barrel than .54 and recoil is easy to manage. My .54 weighs about 9 pounds I’d guess you could save a pound of weight between barrel and stock work

This is my Colonial .58 smoothbore that only took a day and a half to put together. Jim sent it in 3 weeks. I’m starting stock stain now. I’m 83 and it was fun as well as quite easy to assemble. Exciting!
I am on the fence if I want a 58 smoothbore or a fowler. Shoot that sucker and report back.

I shot a Parker-Hale Whitworth years ago. My memory of it is that the stock was too straight for me. It wasn't comfortable to shoot.

You can't change the barrel length on a Kibler.

Your grandfather doesn't need a longer barrel to see the sights he just needs the rear sight moved down the barrel where he can see it.

I am a 74 year old grand dad and make my guns with the rear sight moved down the barrel to where it is over the rear ramrod entry pipe. The rear sight isn't perfectly clear at this point but I can make it out well enough to shoot. In the normal rear position a rear sight is just a blur to me.
I'm 73 and have a friendly Optician who understands shooters special needs . I am right handed and when I shoot i look through the upper left corner of my glasses . He makes my right lenses with a little lens in the top left corner of the right eye and I have no more difficulty in seeing the rear sight than I did 40 years ago .

Back