• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kit rifle engraving ideas.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakerjw

32 Cal
Reaction score
Good day, all. I'm in the process of starting to work on my Traditions flintlock Kentucky rifle kit. The first steps will be working on the fitment of the lock, trigger, etc... and also sanding the stock pieces down to be flush with the brass butt and stock joining plates. I'm still waiting on some finishing materials to arrive, i.e. stain, rust bluing solution, etc...
So in the meantime, I'm thinking ahead on artistic details that will add some personality to the build. I am considering either engraving the buttstock with a design or doing an inlay of some kind of wood. Things that I've considered and am rattling around have been.
The state of Kentucky.
A soaring eagle.
An engraving of a map from the very early years of the Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia and Carolina.
A mountain silhouette view.
A bear or otter.

ETA... Or something Daniel Boone related. The Daniel Boone trail passed right in front of our house.

Any suggestions or ideas?

I ruled out a minuteman due to the technical artistry involved.

Last edited:
Hi,
Why not carve something traditional for the time period rather than something you would find on a modern firearm?
wmn29d8.jpg

y4UfTQD.jpg

DCV3NvC.jpg

Ni07lE1.jpg

60ZnRw8.jpg

y1NQwxb.jpg

7J5zoH4.jpg

jJtRGZ1.jpg

dave

I'm about 75% of the way through building my Traditions Kentucky rifle kit (percussion) and if I had the skill I would have carved something traditional. I think the nice thing about the Traditions kit is you can do it however you want as it was never intended to be a perfect replica of a traditional gun.

Get the book' "Engraving Historical Firearms". Lots of great ideas and pictures in there of not only carving, but engraving (including techniques).

Agree that it would look better if it was historically based rather than contemporary. That said, Dave2c (you can look him up here by doing an advanced search) has done some wonderfully tastefully executed hybrid guns blending both historical and contemporary images in to his works.

Get the book' "Engraving Historical Firearms". Lots of great ideas and pictures in there of not only carving, but engraving (including techniques).

Agree that it would look better if it was historically based rather than contemporary. That said, Dave2c (you can look him up here by doing an advanced search) has done some wonderfully tastefully executed hybrid guns blending both historical and contemporary images in to his works.
Good day, all. I'm in the process of starting to work on my Traditions flintlock Kentucky rifle kit. The first steps will be working on the fitment of the lock, trigger, etc... and also sanding the stock pieces down to be flush with the brass butt and stock joining plates. I'm still waiting on some finishing materials to arrive, i.e. stain, rust bluing solution, etc...
So in the meantime, I'm thinking ahead on artistic details that will add some personality to the build. I am considering either engraving the buttstock with a design or doing an inlay of some kind of wood. Things that I've considered and am rattling around have been.
The state of Kentucky.
A soaring eagle.
An engraving of a map from the very early years of the Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia and Carolina.
A mountain silhouette view.
A bear or otter.

ETA... Or something Daniel Boone related. The Daniel Boone trail passed right in front of our house.

Any suggestions or ideas?

I ruled out a minuteman due to the technical artistry involved.
What I am doing with my traditions Hawken percussion rifle kit is one side, a period coin, (looks like a unit disk and maybe something one of those guys would use for emergency money) I got the Idea from the Ethiopian rifle from RTI with the coin of the country). the other side since I am new to bldg. and engraving Just some silver wire inlay. Just my idea.

Latest posts

Back