• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kit gun for winter?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting a semi budget gun kit for the winter, I've Dunn cheap kits before and some gunsmith work. What are the recommended kits. I still don't know what to get, I'd like a squirrel rifle in 32 or maybe 36 witch is better.

I was thinking maybe a fouler I guess a 20/69 I don't know much about them but the versatility looks nice going from ball to shot.

Or maybe just a 45 something like the Lyman plains rifle, I and not keen on the bright brass.

I'd like to do up a barrel on my h&a underhanded one day to pare with the 15ga smooth bore.
any help and recommended kits will help, thanks.Troy.

I'm working on a budget .32 project right now, and I think the .32 vs .36 argument really just boils down to personal preference. The .36 has a little downrange advantage on the .32 but uses more powder and lead getting there. In my case, I bought one of those old CVA Kentucky rifles (percussion) with a missing barrel for nearly nothing and will be fitting it with a 38" Colerain barrel. This will be more of a woodworking project than anything since both the butt and forestock will need additional wood spliced in, those splices hidden, the barrel channel reduced from 7/8 to 13/16, and a new buttplate, trigger guard, and thimbles added. Should be a good challenge to take a collection of parts and turn them into a decent squirrel rifle.

If that project doesn't drag on into the winter, I'll be ordering one of the French Fusil de Chasse .62 cal fowler kits from Track of the Wolf as my main build over this year's darker months. I picked up one of their barrels in a good trade earlier this year and that will seriously cut down on the kit price. I've wanted one of those French fowlers for a long time.

There's also an old TC .45 Hawken from around 1970 that I'm resurrecting, but that's nearly complete. Waiting for some escutcheon screws to come in this week and after they're fitted it should be ready for some shooting.

I've had really good luck with any of the kits from Track of the Wolf or Pecatonica River and can recommend them without hesitation. They do cost a little more and take more work to assemble than the Italian kits, but are available in so many more styles. I've found the parts quality to be top notch in every case, too.

I'm working on a budget .32 project right now, and I think the .32 vs .36 argument really just boils down to personal preference. The .36 has a little downrange advantage on the .32 but uses more powder and lead getting there. In my case, I bought one of those old CVA Kentucky rifles (percussion) with a missing barrel for nearly nothing and will be fitting it with a 38" Colerain barrel. This will be more of a woodworking project than anything since both the butt and forestock will need additional wood spliced in, those splices hidden, the barrel channel reduced from 7/8 to 13/16, and a new buttplate, trigger guard, and thimbles added. Should be a good challenge to take a collection of parts and turn them into a decent squirrel rifle.

If that project doesn't drag on into the winter, I'll be ordering one of the French Fusil de Chasse .62 cal fowler kits from Track of the Wolf as my main build over this year's darker months. I picked up one of their barrels in a good trade earlier this year and that will seriously cut down on the kit price. I've wanted one of those French fowlers for a long time.

There's also an old TC .45 Hawken from around 1970 that I'm resurrecting, but that's nearly complete. Waiting for some escutcheon screws to come in this week and after they're fitted it should be ready for some shooting.

I've had really good luck with any of the kits from Track of the Wolf or Pecatonica River and can recommend them without hesitation. They do cost a little more and take more work to assemble than the Italian kits, but are available in so many more styles. I've found the parts quality to be top notch in every case, too.
Thanks for the reply, I had a 32 when I was a kid, used to pull down buck shot for balls,so it's more likely to get then a 36. I had to sell my nice 45 hawken. Money is still right tho. Those french Fowler are pretty cool I have to look more into them. Good around gun.

I don't know to much on bp guns so much to remember.

I have that hopkins and Allen 15ga I could put a rifle barrel on, but other then green mountain I don't know many others or there quality.

Back