• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kit Carson

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pripley

36 Cal.
Reaction score
This guy was very interesting!
I am embarrassed to admit that I live in the area of Kit Carson's stomping grounds and I did not know much about him. When I was a young fellow in the 70's, his character was getting a thrashing in the public arena of political correctness. The Boy Scout Council in this area used to go by the title "The Kit Carson Council", and it was changed to "The Greater Southwest Council" :barf: , because he was perceived at the time as an unworthy example to Boy Scouts, I guess(?).

Now that I have read more about him, I do not think the Boy Scouts of America should have caved in on this figure in history. By most accounts, Kit Carson is a great example for Boy Scouts, no matter your ethnic background. I suppose there are some risky associations with Mountain Men and the Boy Scouts, but then again, an illiterate General has to have something going for him.

His duel at the 1835 Randezvous must have been something to behold. One account has him checking the prime in the pan of his pistol before mounting up and facing his opponent. Imagine facing off in a duel, on horseback, with a flintlock pistol! Was this duel because of the Arapaho Girl (Kit's future wife), the rudely treated Missionary, or just a camp bully that needed to be put in his place?

If the range officer would allow it, it might be fun to shoot a flintlock on the run and attempt to hit a target. I can barely get the flintlock to fire off a benchrest.

Kit Carson :bow:

Blood and Thunder is a great book on Kit Carson and the history of that area. Kit was a very interesting man never realized how much traveling he did till I read that book.

Oh yeah, one heck of a man. And a small man to boot, 5'6" tall and never over 140 pounds. That's my size and 20 pounds lighter :redface: . And very adaptive he was. He learned Spanish and some of the native languages very quickly. Never drank (unless injured), and had a very eloquint usage of the the english language, no Jim Bridger mountain man slang. Good with business too.

I don't recall why he ended up in the duel, but something sure set him off. Shot some big guy in the arm, didn't he? I'll need to read that part again.

I've been to his house in Taos. I was trying to find where his wife dug through the wall to get out during the revolt, but couldn't find it. If I remember right, there was some addition to the house, so it's difficult to tell what was original.

Ripley, do you live near his home in Taos, or near some of his other stomping grounds? Bill

I live in Albuquerque and I have had many adventures in the Sangre De Cristo. I regret not knowing more about Carson when I was running around his neck of the woods.

She wasn't trying to dig out of Carsons house. She was at gov. bent's house which is a historic site in Taos, too. That is where the digging story comes from./

Kinda funny, when I moved to Carson City, NV a few years ago I thought I was moving to his old stompin' grounds. After reading some about him, I find out he never lived or spent much time here. Just passed through the area a couple times from what I've read.

uno676 said:
Blood and Thunder is a great book on Kit Carson and the history of that area. ...
I picked up a copy of "Blood and Thunder" and I am having trouble putting it down. Thanks for the suggestion! :hatsoff:
I am enjoying this balanced account of history.
I have too often heard the dark side of Kit Carson, without much detail. All the detail is very welcome.

Blood and Thunder is a fantastic book. And unlike most historical works we see today, evenhanded.

Back