• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kit by Don Brown

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a muzzleloader kit by Don Brown. Rigby style cap lock 45 caliber (right hand) in a wooden crate. I have never built a kit gun. Does anybody know much about these kits. Thank you

I have two of Don Brown's rifles. Quality parts. I have built a few ML, however I certainly dont fancy myself as much of a builder. I have never built one of these rifles, I had a buddy do it for me as they are more complicated.

Go over to the American Long Rifle Forum (ALR) You will find much more info over there on building one of these. Curtis Allison over there has a long thread on building one with Rod England's parts. Rod took over after Don passed several years ago.

These are more of Alex Henry style, not Rigby. Don's hammers are not AH style however. I have replaced my hammers with hammers from Rod since they are correct for AH style and look much more appropriate on these rifles.

Fleener

I have two of Don Brown's rifles. Quality parts. I have built a few ML, however I certainly dont fancy myself as much of a builder. I have never built one of these rifles, I had a buddy do it for me as they are more complicated.

Go over to the American Long Rifle Forum (ALR) You will find much more info over there on building one of these. Curtis Allison over there has a long thread on building one with Rod England's parts. Rod took over after Don passed several years ago.

These are more of Alex Henry style, not Rigby. Don's hammers are not AH style however. I have replaced my hammers with hammers from Rod since they are correct for AH style and look much more appropriate on these rifles.

Fleener
Thanks Fleener I will

I almost suspect that there might be more of these guns still in parts then finished ones out there.

Lots of little things to consider when building one of these. Example is the sight radius of 36" Helps with your Verner rear sights for being close to MOA for adjustments.

These rifles are made for shooting 1,000 yards or more.

Fleener

I have a Don Brown kit still in the box and original papers. 45 caliber and a getz barrel full octagon never fired. English walnut. Buttplate and grip cap has been professionally inletted. I might sell that, stock is a pistol grip.

The Don Brown Henry was Thee superior kit some reached NZ not heard of one with Whitworth rifleing Useually it was the Henry style or related rifleing were talking 30 years or so back long before the Kibler method Not that have any connection just knew his rifles .
Rudyard

I have a Don Brown kit still in the box and original papers. 45 caliber and a getz barrel full octagon never fired. English walnut. Buttplate and grip cap has been professionally inletted. I might sell that, stock is a pistol grip.
I love it!!! Send me everything you can on it? I really do not know the Don Brown Kit. I was looking at the Gibbs but did not like the Pedersoli treatment plus if it is a kit it means I can put a little of my sweat and care in it and make it special. How does it compare with the long range Gibbs? Why did you not build it? What did you buy it for? Is it percussion? and what is the twist rate? I am also contacting Rob English interested in one of his A Henry kits.....any thoughts?????

I love it!!! Send me everything you can on it? I really do not know the Don Brown Kit. I was looking at the Gibbs but did not like the Pedersoli treatment plus if it is a kit it means I can put a little of my sweat and care in it and make it special. How does it compare with the long range Gibbs? Why did you not build it? What did you buy it for? Is it percussion? and what is the twist rate? I am also contacting Rob English interested in one of his A Henry kits.....any thoughts?????
Well your not addressing me but the Don Brown is streets ahead of the factory stuff .Of course its percussion ' Rob English' sounds a lot like Wal Winfer that was one of his non de plumes (just a guess as to link ) Most such rifles are for long range typically 1 in 20" pitch . but its not a 'full' match or the ones I saw where Sporting/ Match and I think he offered options in suit .as to the pitch Quite a few where bought by NZ visiting shooters .
Rudyard's 2 pence

Give me 3 days as Im going to be gone tomorrow. I can take pictures. This kit is very nice. Im in the gunmakers guild and I inletted the Butt plate and grip cap. I am a stock maker by trade and i just don't have time to complete it. It's a percussion. All parts are there.
I have been on the fence about selling it for a long time. I know getz barrels are prized barrels. I even have the receipt on the purchase and schematics. Yes this don Brown is an 100% original.

I was at Kitchener (1987) in Ontario for the MLAIC World's when Don appeared with his prototype Rifle and a 'preproduction' example. He was streets ahead of anything being offered at that time. He would supply any barrel that the buyer wanted but Rudyard was quite correct most were fast twist for Slugs and usually Henry pattern. R E Davis made the locks and I got in a few of those for builders here. At least 20 of Don's kits came to NZ. One pops up at shoots in Marlborough sometimes. Don came to the MLAIC event with a dream and left with a business.

I just bought a kit from Rod England. I am keeping it and may sell my Don Brown kit. To contact Rod his number is 864 590 6718 Like I stated his kit I got was fabulous and he is a great guy to deal with.

I would go talk with Rod first. You won't be disappointed with his kit.

Pm me if you are interested in this kit. I would go with Rod first.

Latest posts

Back