• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kit building

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whummell

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Help please!!!!!!! Im interested in building my own kit for either a pistol or smoothbore rifle flint or percussion. Ive been following yall's post for awhile now and have looked on the web sites u have suggested. Some of the prices for the kits seem abit steep for a good ole country boy. Im looking for something easy to start with. Wood working is not a problem but im more concerned with the any metal work that night be envolved. One of my goals is to eventually build a blunderbuss. I havnt seen any kits or any for sale for that matter. Does any one know where i could find one? I would also like to practice on the stock with a cheaper wood. Something like pine. Where could i find a lank stock made of pine? At the moment im still in Korea for another 5 month. While Im here i would like to perchuse a book/video on building a kit. Any suggestions?

there are many cheaper kits out there like traditions,lyman, Cva where you can get a pistol kit for under 150 and a rifle for around 250 i dont believe any are smooth bore thought .
I know of no one who makes pine stock, you could proabaly just cut one our of a 2x6.
however remember pin is not good stock material and while shaping it may be much easer doing things like inlets will be much harder becouse of the nature of the wood itself . pine also IMO will not hold up well for shooting "udnerstatment".
if your wanting to prcatice carving any scrap of would will work but each wood is diffent and its best if you can find a peice of the would you plan on using.
as to the blunderbus, i believe the rifle shoppe has a kit?
im sure you will have more input soon hang in there

There are several excellent books including:

The art of building the Pennsylvania Longrifle
by Ehrig, Miller and Dixon

Recreating the American Longrifle
by Buchele, Shumway and Alexander

These are available from suppliers such as Track of the Wolf and others and some offer a discount if purchasing a gun kit.

I got to agree with Captcheeto. Pine is not really a good practice wood. Stocks are made of harder wood and that cuts differently. If you want to practice some basic carving and inletting get scraps of hardwoods. Pine won't hold up to shooting to make a real stock out of.
There are big difference in difficulty of kits. T/C's are basically finish the wood and assemble, Lyman requires a little more work including finishing the metal, Chambers for example, are kits 95% inlet the rest you do. The more complicated kits are exponentially more difficult. At least for a guy like me with modest skills, :bull: okay no skill.
Chambers has a good video for sale, also get a book or two as a resource.

Check out Jack Garner, Jack's Mould Shop in MS. ::I think he is still connected to TVM. I seem to remember him having a blunderbuss kit. From Jack, I buy a stock blank, with the barrel and ramrod hole done. :peace:

Back