• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kit Build Lyman GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmb3366

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm relativly new to traditional muzzleloading, a fairly recent convert from inlines. Anyhow, I've hunted the last few years with a T/C white mountain carbine, but I've always wanted to build a kit and go in the direction of roundballs for hunting. When I read that Lyman was moving away from Investarms with the 1:60 twist to Pedersoli with 1:48, I decided it was time to make my move so I ordered up a .54 GPR kit from Dixiegunworks. This being my first build, it was a big learning experience, everything from inletting with candle black, to draw filing, to working all the intricate parts with needle files removing casting marks. It was also my first experience with rust browning, while I was successful, and did eventually rig up an impromptu humidity chamber, I will be making a permanent sweatbox before my next project.

Reading the archives of this forum has been a tremendous asset, and I think it paid off with a pretty solid first build. Anyhow, here is my rifle, browning was done with Dixie's solution, stock finishing is a homebrewed mix of Watco teak oil thickened 50/50 with boiled linseed oil. Ramrod with the same oil mix with a little dark walnut stain added on the last pass to darken the grain and give it a bit of an aged look.

ML1.jpg

ML6.jpg

ML2.jpg

ML4.jpg

ML5.jpg

Thanks for the likes and comments fellas. In terms of shooting, it does as well as I can hold with 85gr of old eyensford 3f and a .530 ball in a .015 patch lubed with bore butter. The barrel was a bit rough out of the gate, but a mild lapping with jb bore paste slicked it right up. I used the rifle to kill a 4pt buck during our early ML season, eagerly awaiting getting it back out for our late season on the 15th

Latest posts

Back